Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Siduction on external server  (Read 3116 times)

leandersukov

Siduction on external server
« on: 2019/07/28, 19:35:29 »
I have sofar used debian stable on the servers I have with Hetzner AG in Germany. Hetzner does not official offering Debian Testing (e.g. Siduction), unofficial I do not know.

I am using in my office siduction for quite a long time with any serious problems. Therefor I would like to have it on one of the servers as well. This means that I have to change everything from far.

Would it work like this:
changing the mirrorsGet the siduction kernel-dingiesGetting the kernels to workkilling and deleting lampreinstalling lampreinstalling all other stuff with the usual tools (apt-get, dpkg etc).

Or do I miss anything?

I know it is a bid risky. I tried that here some time ago and it worked well. But then ... here I am just in front of the computer, no one can stop me from accessing. There I would run into problemes, when I lose ssh-connection.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Siduction on external server
« Reply #1 on: 2019/07/28, 19:49:35 »
1) siduction is not testing, it is sid (unstable)

I know what your trying to do, in the past, I myself  have turned a debian stable install into a frankention install without problems.

However, that was a long time ago, I have no idea if it can be done today, maybe someone else can chime in because a server is not something you want to mess up :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Siduction on external server
« Reply #2 on: 2019/07/28, 20:32:07 »
If there are really reasons for using sid(uction) on a server - why not, a few cons:
* our kernel is optimized for desktop usage
* how often you are restarting? (Hint: weekly would be ok)
* most server applications don't benefit from sid
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)