Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  WARNING: Plasma 5.8 LTS enters Sid  (Read 2908 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
WARNING: Plasma 5.8 LTS enters Sid
« on: 2016/10/07, 20:42:01 »
As of writing this, Plasma 5.8 LTS enters Sid. There is a few packages being removed, so sit tight. This should not take long. If needed, apt upgrade can be used.

Plasma 5.8 LTS hält gerade Einzug in Sid. Dabei werden einige Pakete entfernt. Also Füsse stillhalten, solte nicht lange dauern. Wenn nötig, kann apt upgrade verwendet werden.

Offline Lanzi

• User
Re: WARNING: Plasma 5.8 LTS enters Sid
« Reply #1 on: 2016/10/08, 00:51:19 »
wow, thats really cool. So we will have plasma 5.8 during the freeze. Not bad!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2016/10/08, 12:18:32 »
Yes, and it has an extraordinary nice set of changes: https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.7.5-5.8.0-changelog.php

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/10/08, 12:29:12 »
The removal of some packages might stay unaltered for a few days, as kwin, due to a soversion bump, will have to go through the NEW queue, which is manualy handled by the ftp-masters.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/10/09, 12:05:03 »
just a short note...

had to do a new installation yesterday evening, used "paint it black" kde amd64

After first d-u I had no plasma-desktop installed any more, causes error messages of "missing shareb library" instead of a usable kmenu for example.

I could fix this by using the "incomming" repo today, installing plasma-desktop 4:5.8.0-1 from there. After installing most of its "recommends" and kwin-addons too it seems working here, but I have not tested intensiv for now  :)

greets
ayla

Offline manilg

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2016/10/09, 13:04:07 »
Just now

I set kaffeine on hold some time ago

Code: [Select]
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
  libkwineffects9 libkwinglutils9 libkwinxrenderutils9 liblua5.3-0 libreadline7 qml-module-qtqml-models2
Die folgenden Pakete sind zurückgehalten worden:
  kaffeine
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
  breeze breeze-cursor-theme gnupg gnupg-agent gnupg2 gpgsm kactivitymanagerd kde-cli-tools kde-cli-tools-data kde-style-breeze kde-style-breeze-qt4
  kwin-common kwin-data kwin-style-breeze kwin-x11 libkdecorations2-5v5 libkdecorations2private5v5 libkf5sysguard-bin libkf5sysguard-data libkfontinst5
  libkfontinstui5 libkscreenlocker5 libksgrd7 libksignalplotter7 libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkworkspace5-5 libprocesscore7 libprocessui7 libtaskmanager6
  milou nmap oxygen-sounds plasma-desktop plasma-desktop-data plasma-integration plasma-workspace polkit-kde-agent-1
  qml-module-qtquick-controls-styles-breeze scdaemon
39 aktualisiert, 6 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 1 nicht aktualisiert.

manilg

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/10/09, 13:17:39 »

plasma-desktop:                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  Installiert:           4:5.8.0-1                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Installationskandidat: 4:5.8.0-1                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Versionstabelle:                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 *** 4:5.8.0-1 500                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        500 http://incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd buildd-unstable/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                                 
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                                               
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status               

yep, it's in unstable now

vonh

« Reply #7 on: 2016/10/13, 10:18:26 »
I installed Plasma 5.8 yesterday and title bars are missing. I can't move windows or close them with the 'X' button in the corner and they all seem to start in the top left corner of the screen.

Is there something else I might be missing?

Is it kwin that handles those things?

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2016/10/13, 12:13:47 »
It seems that plasma crashed.  You can try: Alt+F2 and then

Code: [Select]
kquitapp5 plasmashell ; /usr/bin/plasmashell --shut-up &

(Or type that on a terminal, if you have one.)

If that works, you still have to figure out why plasma crashed....   Are you using two monitors?

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #9 on: 2016/10/13, 12:45:56 »
Hello,

the titlebar and its three buttons are called "window decorations" and your window manager kwin is responsible for them.
I think your kwin crashed or is missing.

Please make sure kwin-x11 was not removed during the dist-upgrade.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #10 on: 2016/10/13, 15:00:46 »
vonh, does your rig run with a Nvidia card?

vonh

« Reply #11 on: 2016/10/13, 15:10:05 »
@musca I think you are right. The first time upgrade there were some error messages about kwin-x11 not working properly so I will try it again. I have switched to LXQT for the time being so when I finish with work I will reinstall kwin again. apt-cache policy reports that kwin is not installed.

@devil It is a Q45 motherboard with onboard graphics and I think the graphics card is one of the Intel chipsets. System Tools | Graphical Information | OpenGL Version reports the render as Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
« Last Edit: 2016/10/13, 15:15:16 by vonh »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #12 on: 2016/10/13, 15:26:51 »
OK, so the a bug that renders window decorations useless with 5.8 and Nvidia is not the cause of your problem

vonh

« Reply #13 on: 2016/10/13, 15:32:58 »
I just installed kwin-x11 and logged into it from another computer using x2go and the window decorations are back to normal. I find x2go working surprising because I couldn't get x2go to work with Plasma 5 before.

When I log out of LXQT and log on to KDE 5 on the computer itself I will report my findings.

PS. Is the Quote function for replying to posts disabled?