Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] SOLVED - Dist-upgrade on netbook  (Read 3511 times)

jbs1136

[EN] SOLVED - Dist-upgrade on netbook
« on: 2012/12/10, 22:10:37 »
I recently purchased a used netbook that I have been playing with.  It has an 8g ssd with Windows installed.  I bought a set of three thumbdrives and am using them to try other distros.  I have Debian stable on one and testing on another.  I thought I would put siduction on one.  Everything went as it should and I booted up the netbook.  I logged out and did ctrl-altF1, signed in as root, init 3, apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade.  I did forget to do the apt-get clean.  I then rebooted.  When it started back up I got the word GRUB and a blinking line (cursor), nothing else.  My question is do I reinstalled or can I repair the grub menu? or any other suggestions on what to do to avoid having the same problem when I do a dist-upgrade.

SPECKS:
Acer Aspire One, dual core atom cpu, 8g ssd, 32 bit

Installed siduction 12.2.0~rc1 Riders on the Storm - xfce - (201211192035) on the thumb drive.

Used a live-CD 32 bit and installed to the thumbdrive as if it were a hdd.

I had done this previously with aptodsid and had do problems doing it this way.  Again, this time everything went well, and booted up when I put the drive in the netbook.  

Any help appreciated.  

john

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Dist-upgrade on netbook
« Reply #1 on: 2012/12/10, 22:20:18 »
If you dist-upgrade a live-iso, you need to delete the kernel metapackage.

greetz
devil

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
RE: Dist-upgrade on netbook
« Reply #2 on: 2012/12/10, 22:23:25 »
He sayed, that he has siduction installed like on harddrive.
But nevertless, no one can say anything, since no one has seen any logfile or output from the upgrade.
Btw, apt-get upgrade != dist-upgrade.
I think, the upgrade is not runned well.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/12/10, 22:38:51 »
Well, yeah, the word 'GRUB' says it must be installed. the headline says dist-upgrade, the text says upgrade. so no idea.

greetz
devil

jbs1136

« Reply #4 on: 2012/12/11, 17:17:26 »
For some reason I didn't get notified of the responses.  Sorry or I would have responded quicker.  Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question, I thought I had everything down.  I didn't post any logfile or anything because I didn't have any.  When I rebooted I got the word grub and a prompt, otherwise a blank screen.  I couldn't get into anything to get a log file.

Sorry about the mixup on the upgrade/dist-upgrade.  I did not do a upgrade I did a dist-upgrade.  

I tried to fix the problem and got into the OS by booting another distro (debian testing) checked what I could.  Long story short I installed lilo for now which at least boots the machine with siduction.  At this point I may have done more damage than good so will just reinstall and try again.  

Thanks for the responses,

john