Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Finding release names  (Read 8143 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] Finding release names
« on: 2012/08/09, 09:41:57 »
It's time again to find a release name for our next release. The method to find them up to now was: setting up a wiki page, having users propose rocksongs they think fitting, then core team votes on one (mainly on the criteria of how good it can be visualized)

I find this procedure not very satisfying for neither users nor team. IMHO we should think of a better way for this. Please provide ideas how this could be a more rewarding process.

Just an example: I could imagine rewarding users for contributions of some kind (the latter needs to be discussed) The chosen user can propose 3 (or 5) songs and we choose the one that best works for us)

What do you think?

greetz
devil

arno911

RE: Finding release names
« Reply #1 on: 2012/08/09, 11:30:01 »
1. Users propose names.
2. Our Art Team filters out those names, that can't be used for a nice theme.
3. Users vote on the release name. one user, one vote.
4. The user whose proposal gets the most votes wins a USB stick with a flavor of his choice. And will be mentioned in the release notes of all flavors.

how's that?

greetings
arno911

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Finding release names
« Reply #2 on: 2012/08/09, 14:29:43 »
As said by vindeliker on the German forum, a lot of thought and good suggestions went into the list for 2012.1 already, and only one was used.  Aren't there some more good candidates in there?
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ayla

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #3 on: 2012/08/09, 14:58:35 »
Hi,

what about listing every suggestion ever made (with room for more), users choose 5 to 10, art team selects a few, complete team -or users- selects the one for the coming release?

greets
ayla

Offline michaa7

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #4 on: 2012/08/09, 16:14:29 »
If no better idea ( like mine ;-) ) comes up I would support ayla's suggestion, maybe allowing not only to chosse 5 to 10 songs, but also do vote against 5 to 10 songs.

I think what we all really are looking for is a superordinated ( übergeordnete ) idea, a story, something that makes the release name less random (in regard to how the next release name is connected to the previous one. For the time being there is no connection between release names apart from being a (random) rock song).

One story:
We could change the policy from rock song to Toy-story-song (which would refect our real and substantial connection to Debian, too). This would give us 16 names for the next 4-5 years. I don't know whether I am allowed to post the list of names, it's taken from here:
hxxp://www.amazon.de/Toy-Story-Deutsche-Version-Ost/dp/B000GPPPZ4

This is the list ( please delete if this appears to be considered a copyright infrigement ):
1. You#ve Got A Friend In Me
 2. Strange Things
 3. I WIll Go Sailing No More
 4. Andy#s Birthday
 5. Soldier#s Mission
 6. Presents
 7. Buzz
 8. Sid
 9. Woody And Buzz
 10. Mutants
 11. Woody#s Gone
 12. The Big One
 13. Hang Together
 14. On The Move
 15. Infinity And Beyond
 16. You#ve Got A Friend In Me

Ok, not so sexy like rock songs, but still ...

----

Or another story:
New, additional rule: There *must* be something in the new name/song that allows the art team to cite (zitieren ) part of the old artwork in the newone. I do not remember my proposal for the 2012.1 edition, but it was inspired from this idea [1]. It is an artificial restriction (compared to the toy story). But creativity often gets better *if* and *when* the underlying conditions are limited. "Rock-song" isn't limitation (=story) enough because it leads only to randomness.

So let's find the story or at least additional rules.

[1] Found it. Me proposal was "On the Road again" from Willie Nelson.
Although not being a country fan I proposed this as an idea to begin to update a serial:

Starting form "OSB" artwork a fantasy car with Debian swirl wheels follows the (osb-) road to ... ???
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Finding release names
« Reply #5 on: 2012/08/09, 17:26:46 »
Quote from: "michaa7"

I think what we all really are looking for is a superordinated ( übergeordnete ) idea, a story, something that makes the release name less random (in regard to how the next release name is connected to the previous one.

OK, yes, I like that -- we want a "system" for naming releases.

@michaa7, I like your second story better than the first story, because I don't think many people have a good memory of the sequence of songs in Toy Story.

Here's a notion:  Staying with rock music, and staying with a user community contest for each release, you could use an alphabetical sequence -- the first contest is limited to all songs by artists whose surnames begin with "A", and then "B" for the next release, and so on.  This system would last about forever.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline michaa7

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #6 on: 2012/08/09, 17:47:09 »
Quote from: "dibl"

OK, yes, I like that -- we want a "system" for naming releases.
Yes, system, rules, machine ... whatever except randomness
@michaa7, I like your second story better than the first story, because I don't think many people have a good memory of the sequence of songs in Toy Story.

Why do you feel it's neccessary? I don't. And the Debian name scheme doesn't follow any sequenze whatsoever. The pool of names is limited by the (Toy-) story, but each new selection is (?) random.

Here's a notion:  Staying with rock music, ... limited to all songs by artists whose surnames begin with "A", and then "B" for the next release, and so on.  

This gives no alphabetical order of releasenames (which would be the "story/system/rule). Then it would be preferabel to vote for one album / a year of which to choose as much songs as editions are released whithin this year. New year, new album choosen during a yearlong contest.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
Finding release names
« Reply #7 on: 2012/08/09, 18:34:27 »
Personally, I would call a hit list of names that will be created by users, to life. The proposal with the most points when it meets the specified criteria of the siduction team, chosen as the next release name.

The author of the "winner's name" should then receive a small reward and a mention in the official siduction blog.

This also good second-and third-place finisher will have a chance this could be set for the next release. This has the advantage that you would not trigger any release from this procedure.

Dependencies of the current release name for future release names, as eg. Fedora makes, I would not favor.

Offline ayla

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #8 on: 2012/08/09, 18:38:07 »
I like the idea to get a system in there, also the one-album-per-year idea. Combined with the a-z artist idea this sounds good to me.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #9 on: 2012/08/10, 05:48:49 »
We should stress that the names be conducive to conjuring up good graphics themes.  

BTW - I like arno911's idea combined with ayla's listing of many songs,and the voting for the best 5 or 10, then, narrowing it down.  It might bring about an increase in community participation.  A contest could also bring outside interest.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline Bequimão

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #10 on: 2012/08/11, 11:03:34 »
Why constrain oneself to rock music? Why not look for other languages?

I'd like to see a "mas que nada" from Jorge Ben Jor. Worldwide known, covered many times, excelent for art purposes and it might push the Brazilian forum one day further.

Best wishes,
Bequimão
Bequimão (gesprochen: Be-ki-mãu) ist Manuel Beckmann,
brasilianischer Revolutionär in Maranhão (1630 - 1685).

Offline michaa7

• User
Finding release names
« Reply #11 on: 2012/08/11, 12:27:28 »
Quote from: "Bequimão"
Why constrain oneself to rock music? ...

As I understand it (and IIRC devil made such a statement time ago) there is no close restriction to rock-musik. Its more a placeholder for modern and popular musik. So jazz/latin song titles could be possible.
I think the only *real* constrain is the language. And brasilian is not understood worldwide ... this must be considered when choosing a release name

BTW: I for sure like "mas que nada" as music.