Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] KDE stays black after change from nvidia to nouveau  (Read 2476 times)

karls0

[EN] KDE stays black after change from nvidia to nouveau
« on: 2013/08/20, 20:27:07 »
Hi I have updated my system today to 3.10-7.slh.2-aptosid-amd64. Since the X-server did not start (as in earlier upgrades) I tried to reinstall the nvidia-driver. I used it, because I have two monitors on my system. This installation did not work and I found out, that I should use the nouveau-driver. Following the instructions in the wiki, the x-server finally starts, but the screen stays black. The mouse-cursor can be seen, but nothing else?

Can anyone help???

TIA, Karl

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: KDE stays black after change from nvidia to nouveau
« Reply #1 on: 2013/08/20, 21:00:18 »
I don't know if this will help, but consider these questions:

(1)  You have a 3.10-7 slh kernel, but that is for aptosid users, and here you are on the siduction forum, and the most recent towo kernel for siduction users is 3.10-4  (and perhaps there are reasons for this ....).  So, can you use

Code: [Select]
kernel-remover

and remove the 3.10-7er and boot your previous kernel version?

(2)
Quote from: "karls0"
This installation did not work and I found out, that I should use the nouveau-driver.

Why -- is there a source for this guidance?  If you need the dual monitor function of the nvidia driver, and if the nvidia driver (for some reason) isn't supported with the 3.10-7 kernel, then here is another reason to consider removing 3.10-7 and going back to the earlier kernel.

Also, if it is the case that the nvidia driver is not supported by 3.10-7, how do you know nouveau is supported?

In the last 24 hours, I have seen xserver-xorg updates, so there is another possible source of problems or compatibility issues.

Here my system is fully updated KDE 4.11, with nvidia proprietary driver, and kernel 3.10-4.towo-siduction-amd64 and everything is working correctly.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

karls0

Re: KDE stays black after change from nvidia to nouveau
« Reply #2 on: 2013/08/21, 19:57:35 »
Quote from: "dibl"
I don't know if this will help, but consider these questions:

(1)  You have a 3.10-7 slh kernel, but that is for aptosid users, and here you are on the siduction forum,

You are right, but you know, after searching around for some time, you loose orientation.

So thank You for the hints and bye.
Karl