Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  perl 5.18.x upgrade  (Read 17848 times)

Offline seasons

• User
perl 5.18.x upgrade
« on: 2013/08/27, 13:33:21 »
Code: [Select]
# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  abiword apt-file apt-show-versions aspell aspell-en ceni command-not-found console-setup console-setup-linux debsums
  dictionaries-common gedit gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-1.0 gir1.2-webkit-1.0 handbrake-gtk intltool irssi
  keyboard-configuration libabiword-2.9 libany-moose-perl libapt-pkg-perl libcairo-perl libclass-methodmaker-perl
  libcurses-perl libcurses-ui-perl libenchant1c2a libexpect-perl libfile-fnmatch-perl libglib-perl libgnome2-canvas-perl
  libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnupg-interface-perl libgtk2-perl libhpmud0 libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tree-perl
  libio-pty-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-dev liblist-moreutils-perl liblocale-gettext-perl
  liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmailtools-perl libmime-tools-perl libmouse-perl libnet-smtp-ssl-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
  libpango-perl libperl5.14 libsane-hpaio libsexy2 libsgml-dtdparse-perl libsnmp30 libterm-readkey-perl
  libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl libuuid-perl libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
  libwebkitgtk-dev libwww-perl libxml-dom-perl libxml-libxml-perl libxml-parser-perl libxml-perl libxml-simple-perl liferea
  linux-base myspell-en-us nvidia-driver siduction-irc signing-party whohas xchat xscreensaver xscreensaver-data
  xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nvidia xserver-xorg-video-r128
  xserver-xorg-video-vesa zenity
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libperl4-corelibs-perl weechat-core weechat-curses
The following packages will be upgraded:
  perl perl-base perl-modules
3 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 89 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 171 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: perl 5.18.x upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2013/08/27, 16:56:15 »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Santa

« Reply #2 on: 2013/08/27, 20:50:02 »
As a workaround, holding both perl and perl-base might help. In any case read carefully what you are going remove.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/08/28, 20:24:53 »
I got bit by this. I wasn't paying attention, it was only a few packages I hit y and ran to turn off my boiling tea came back to find half my system gone.  I've grepped and awkd the dpkg log till I have a list of all the removed packages but I'm left with the perl problem.

Any ideas on how might I proceed?

This is the output of apt-get install all the removed packages:

irssi : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libapt-pkg-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libclass-methodmaker-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libclone-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libcurses-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libfile-fnmatch-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libhtml-parser-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libio-pty-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 liblist-moreutils-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 liblocale-gettext-perl : PreDepends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libmouse-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libnet-dns-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libnet-ssleay-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libperl5.14 : Depends: perl-base (= 5.14.2-21) but 5.18.1-2 is to be installed
 libsocket6-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libsub-name-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libterm-readkey-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libtext-charwidth-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libtext-iconv-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libuuid-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 libxml-libxml-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
 perlmagick : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/08/28, 21:43:37 »
I doubt we can be sure that a perl transition is reversible. We should not count on it.

That said, reverting more than a handfull of packages can't be expected a one strike thing. For sure you will have to go back step by step learning from each step what to add to the next step:

Start with looking at :

...libperl5.14 : Depends: perl-base (= 5.14.2-21) but 5.18.1-2 is to be installed...

First step:
apt-get install perl-base=5.14.2-21 -s
and see what happens, what would be removed. Add packages to be removed with their appropriate version and go on ...

Still not sure if it is a good idea to revert perl ...
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2013/08/29, 00:55:44 »
for all don't messed up their system 'til now:

apt-mark hold perl perl-base perl-modules perl-doc

should make the transition relativly painfree for the moment.
The progress of the perl transition can be watched here: http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/perl5.18.html
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline vayu

• User
Re: RE: perl 5.18.x upgrade
« Reply #6 on: 2013/08/29, 02:19:09 »
Quote from: "michaa7"

Is that a nice way to say it's better to start over?

I don't know anything about the perl transition, I can use my laptop for the next week, would I be able to just wait until the transition is over and try again then?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/08/29, 12:11:30 »
That will not help you. You need to revert all this manualy and either you have a day off to do this (and learn a lot) or start over. Then what you learn is: read what apt wants to do before hitting Y.

greetz
devil

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/08/29, 12:55:55 »
Quote from: "vayu"
Quote from: "michaa7"

Is that a nice way to say it's better to start over?

No.

If I *know* the best way, I'll tell you.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/08/29, 16:20:12 »
Quote from: "agaida"
for all don't messed up their system 'til now:

apt-mark hold perl perl-base perl-modules perl-doc

should make the transition relativly painfree for the moment.
The progress of the perl transition can be watched here: http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/perl5.18.html
Comparing the progress on the link above with the same for some days ago there are a lot more green than before but still very very much red so, any idea hoe long time this will take, days, week(s) month(s)?

I ask because i don't need to d-u, I can wait one or two weeks, then I don't have to put anything on hold (and forget to un-hold it later).

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/08/29, 19:52:45 »
Quote from: "vilde"
...then I don't have to put anything on hold (and forget to un-hold it later).

As I noticed that "apt-mark" isn't known even to some experienced users (yes I'm aware it's mentioned here in this thread) and as you (vilde) seem a bit reluctant to hold back packages I think it would be a good moment and a good place to urge all readers here to have a quick look to "man apt-mark" (very short) and to "man apt-get", where you look only for the section "--ignore-hold".

If you internalize apt-marks's "hold", "showhold" and "unhold" option together with apt-get's "--ignore-hold" option, managing holds becomes handy.

Offline vayu

• User
RE: Re: RE: perl 5.18.x upgrade
« Reply #11 on: 2013/08/29, 20:08:40 »
Might someone be willing to provide a quick overview on what this transition is and what it means practically?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/08/29, 20:50:40 »
A transition is needed for certain package-groups that influence a lot of other packages. Perl is a good example, because it is basicaly every in the system. So if a package like perl and perl-foo gets updated, you have a transition, that has to ensure that all packages depending on perl or a subset of it, gets built against the new version, sometimes in a certain order. So this will take some time, because all the maintainers of the dependent packages have to take action.

The problem with this is, that we base on debian unstable. Our strength in such cases is turned into a weakness. That is due to the attitude of some debian developers who do not care if unstable breaks or not. My guess is, this will take ~ another week, at least as far as it bothers us.

greetz
devil

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2013/08/29, 22:27:48 »
I removed a few nonessential packages and I'm all good now. (I won't mark it solved since it was stickied and is going to be an issue for a while).

That is due to the attitude of some debian developers who do not care if unstable breaks or not.

That's sad. Unstable is going to contain upstream bugs, but it's a very viable distribution for non-developers, and its health propagates to testing/stable.

Offline vayu

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: perl 5.18.x upgrade
« Reply #14 on: 2013/08/30, 01:34:09 »
Quote from: "devil"
A transition is needed for certain package-groups that influence a lot of other packages. Perl is a good example

What are some of the other major transitions? Is Perl one of the most time consuming ones?