Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [SOLVED] Screen locks after 5 minutes of inactivity  (Read 1599 times)

Offline jyp

• User
[EN] [SOLVED] Screen locks after 5 minutes of inactivity
« on: 2016/12/25, 20:43:04 »
I installed _paint-it-black_ on my new thinkpad T460, did a du (more than 1500 pkgs) and everything went really smooth:
kudos and thanks to the team.

One annoying thing: I keep getting a lock screen after 5 minutes of inactivity, whether on ac or battery power. I tried
to reconfigure the power management in system settings but it has no effect.

On forum.kde.org <https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=137721> they suggest editing Plasma 5.8.4
LockScreenUi.qml file in order to get (I guess) a _Screen Locking_  item in system settings.

I am pretty much a newbie so I am looking for a second opinion before editing that file.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2016/12/25, 23:35:17 by jyp »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User

Offline jyp

• User
Re: Screen locks after 5 minutes of inactivity
« Reply #2 on: 2016/12/25, 22:21:34 »
Yes devil
I read the release notes for _patience_ but didn't think that it was affecting items (like Screen Locking) in system settings. I was inclined to think that it should have been part of Plasma 5.8.4.

As for modifying the LockScreenUi.qml, I showed my ignorance because the modification suggested in the post does not relate to my problem at all :-(.

Thanks

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/12/25, 23:17:43 »
If a new release is available, it should always be preferred over an old one! I have no idea if that would affect the  LockScreen issue, I dont have that here. The setting for the lock screen has moved away from power management to workspace settings (first item in the 2nd row), there you find lock screen settings.

Offline jyp

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/12/25, 23:29:46 »
Thanks devil

I found out the cure. The Screen Locking item was not there because the package kde-config-screenlocker was not installed!!
So I did install it and I got the Screen Locking item in system settings. So, problem solved.

Since it is a new installation, fully upgraded to this day, would you still advise to perform a new installation with the latest iso image _patience_ ?

Thanks

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: [SOLVED] Screen locks after 5 minutes of inactivity
« Reply #5 on: 2016/12/26, 00:37:01 »
If things work ok, there is no real need to do that.