Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Backup and Restore  (Read 3817 times)

Offline sotnik

• User
Backup and Restore
« on: 2015/07/17, 18:48:35 »
Hello
I have a dual boot system with windows.
Recenty, I deleted windows partitions. After that I tried to install, again, windows in the deleted (and recreated partition) but I cant install it because I get the following error msg "windows cannot be installed to this disk gpt partition"

Reading various how to solve the problem I understand I have to wipe all the disk.

Here is my problem. I have to backup my linux installation and then restore it (system and data).

How I can do that backup restore procedure in the most safe way?

Thank you

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Backup and Restore
« Reply #1 on: 2015/07/17, 20:36:51 »
If you want to save your complete install in a reinstallable way as an image, look at Clonezilla. For just a backup you could simply use cp -a.

greetz
devil

Offline sotnik

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/07/17, 20:54:40 »
Thank you
What I want is backup (copy) the system into external usb disk and then to restore it after formating the whole disk.
Clonezilla is an option but I would prefer simple linux commands.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/07/17, 22:03:55 »
With cp -a you will need to do some extra work afterwards, like reinstalling grub, editing fstab etc...

greetz
devil

richarddylan262

« Reply #4 on: 2015/10/19, 12:46:07 »
Hello
I have a dual boot system with windows.
Recenty, I deleted windows partitions. After that I tried to install, again, windows in the deleted (and recreated partition) but I cant install it because I get the following error msg "windows cannot be installed to this disk gpt partition"

Reading various how to solve the problem I understand I have to wipe all the disk.

Here is my problem. I have to backup my linux installation and then restore it (system and data).

How I can do that backup restore procedure in the most safe way?

Thank you
Did you find a solution of this problem? because my little sis facing the same error

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2015/10/19, 14:19:27 »
kbackup works good, however, I have not tried with kf5 as of yet, so I can't really recommend it at this time, but, was worth mentioning. it won't hurt to try it, I will do some tests.

http://members.aon.at/m.koller/

Clonezilla is my preferred way
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline pjnsmb

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2015/10/19, 16:32:46 »
+1 for Clonezilla

I have used it quite successfully on a number of occasions
regards
pjnsmb

Ercolinux

« Reply #7 on: 2015/10/20, 17:56:58 »
+2  ;)  for Clonezilla from my experience

Regards

crankypuss

« Reply #8 on: 2016/01/21, 18:47:15 »
If you want to save your complete install in a reinstallable way as an image, look at Clonezilla. For just a backup you could simply use cp -a.

What a fun topic!  It's one of the big interests I've had to acquire in the 3 years since I started using linux. <g>

I've never used Clonezilla.  I did use Ghost's predecessor, Partition Magic, when I was still entrapped in Windows.  It's a lot faster just to use dd onto some empty drive if you ask me, and even that takes far too long.

Backups are only useful if you actually do them.  If you don't do them, at least as frequently as you make significant progress, you might as well not bother.  Murphy *is* out there, and the minute something can go wrong, it *will* go wrong.

The cp alternative is faster, since it only copies the space-in-use instead of the whole partition.  But it still takes too long.  On the other hand, rsync can be used to copy only what needs to be backed up.  IF you can figure out which options to give it, and IF you've installed it (few distros install it by default <hint>).

But even if you've stashed a backup partition that's an exact duplicate of your data (in this case, your "install", but an install is just data), you have the issue of setting up the right kind of partition table and copying your backup partitions into it, and then setting up a boot-loader, preferrably one that works on both BIOS and EFI systems.

It is not trivial if done right; I did it wrong a couple years ago since I'd never heard of GPT or EFI at that point, so now I'm being allowed to modify/rewrite to do it better.  Forget "right", they haven't defined that for us yet. <G>

So I struggle along, but I do have an sd-card that fits in a USB adapter, that is bootable, and contains Ubuntu-oneric, Debian-wheezy, and Debian-stretch, along with all of the data I've been building since maybe 1992 when I left the mainframe world.  And with that I can, in an hour or so, restore 2 of my three systems onto a new or wiped drive, and be just where I was before things went south.

Which reminds me that I should get back to reading the EFI Spec instead of yacking in forums, because my 3rd system is an EFI-only system and won't even recognize my rescue stick as bootable.  To quote my wife, "software is never done!"

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2016/01/29, 19:14:40 »
You need to backup a full working system, if you wanna have fun, try this:

sda2 ---> your linux install mounted to /mnt/sda2
sdb1 ---> your external hard disk mounted to /mnt/sdb1

load some LIVE distro (siduction fills the bill too) and inside /mnt/sda2 do:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=zeroedspace
# rm zeroedspace

then unmount sda2 and do:

# dd if=/dev/sda2 bs=1M | gzip | dd of=/mnt/sdb1/mylinux.gz

when you want to put it in the new partition of the new HD do:

# dd if=/mnt/sdb1/mylinux.gz | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sdc2

Then just fix sdc2 partition size with gparted and install grub on sdc according manual.
---------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM
---------------------------------------