Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Hello, siduction  (Read 4085 times)

Offline jaegermeister

• User
[EN] Hello, siduction
« on: 2012/03/18, 23:24:54 »
Whatta surprise!

Just only today I discovered about siduction... as I was browsing aptosid forums after 7 (yes, seven) months from the last time. Guess how much commitment I had about that distro in the last period, notwithstanding years of advocacy...

I perfectly understand all your reasons and, can say, I also had enough with a forum where some words like "I don't agree with your choice", "this artwork sucks", "how to remaster", "smxi rocks", etc. are seen as opinion crimes. Not to speak about "unauthorized polls": oh my, ain't 'em insulting? :D The same feeling that brought you, a bunch of braves, here to fork, has brought me in the last year to both upstream debian and bsd.

I also started from knoppix and kanotix, saw the glory of sidux and... the bad-named medicine-like aptosid. Still that distro has a killer feature: slh's well made kernels (how will you cope with that intense part of development without reinventing the wheel?).

Too bad I just finished installing aptosid on my last notebook before I discovered siduction :( (I now just use that distro only on some of my personal hardware, I do not install it around anymore). I promise that on next pc I'll try siduction beyond live. Meanwhile compliments for showing guts, for the nice artwork and the commitment. Also, finally, an lxde-sid on the scene... I really missed that one!

I wish this one will always reamain a place where freedom of speech is guaranteed for anyone. Should also words/avatars not be "appealing" for everyone, true Devil? ;)

Thanks for all this, folks.
Really.
---------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Offline coruja

• User
RE: Hello, siduction
« Reply #1 on: 2012/03/19, 00:01:36 »
You're really welcome here, jaegermeister! :)

Feel free to use siduction and to contribute ideas, code, just good mood or whatever. As siduction is a fork of aptosid, the code base won't differ much in our first releases. But we have the nicer people here, and people like you (joining us thankfully) seem to prove us right.

Thanks for mentioning our LXDE version, it's one of the rare 'technical' differences to aptosid... ;)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/03/19, 00:26:30 »
I have tested the LXDE version of siduction myself and its technically quite superior to the half-baked LXDE spin of aptosid in comparison, I'm positive the next releases of siduction will be well worth it to install, jaegermeister...so welcome to the betters side: siduction!

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/03/24, 14:55:50 »
Thanks for the warm welcome, guyz!

I'll for sure test LXDE version as the first one to revamp old hardware (last time I installed LXDE on old 1GHz P3 I had to start from antix base as the other option was already too bloated) and, when this will happen, I'll for sure post!

Meanwhile I know that there's a friendly harbour back online ;)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

sqlpython

« Reply #4 on: 2012/03/24, 17:57:05 »
Welcome from New England.. jaegermeister!
I am running with Xfce4.8... with lots of dev tools and plugins and the ship is stable.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2012/03/24, 18:47:25 »
I have AntiX M11 installed on my old thinkpad and its quite solid, even though I now have it tracking Sid with no breakage :)

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2012/03/25, 00:40:03 »
A friendly welcome from me too.

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2012/03/30, 14:38:09 »
Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes!

Btw, DeepDayze, I tried in the past to upgrade to sid antix M8 adding some sidux packages, but the result was a chimera.... some things worked seamlessly, others didn't really work, especially some dependencies (the mixing of stable/testing/sid is killer).

Still some of those distros are running on students' pcs in a small higher education institute ;) (after all, what youngsters really care nowadays about is fb, yt, and an office suite).
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

mylo

Re: Hello, siduction
« Reply #8 on: 2012/03/30, 23:02:50 »
Quote from: "jaegermeister"
...Still that distro has a killer feature: slh's well made kernels..

"kill" and "killer" wordings are special threats. Should your intention be, to transportating a message explainig to all, that kernels beside slhònes are  nothing, plase  reiterate your wording. It does not reflect reality. Towos kernels for me work perfect!

Please check your wording, before regardless hurting.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2012/03/30, 23:07:13 »
umh, Mylo, you are overreacting imho. "killer feature" is a regular expression nowadays.

greetz
devil

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2012/03/31, 01:08:48 »
lets put it this way:
slhs kerneles worked perfectly for me for years!
Since I switched to siduction I use towos kernels and like them a lot. They seemlessly made my transition to siduction perfect. No problems with towos kernels at all!
ANd he always reacts within hours to users wishes. A definite plus!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2012/03/31, 01:12:41 »
slh takes good care of his kernels and his distribution. technicaly there is not much bad to say on this, despite that decision making there is a rather lonely process.

greetz
devil