Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Problems unmounting usb storage  (Read 4934 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Problems unmounting usb storage
« on: 2012/10/14, 14:26:56 »
Since some months I have difficulties unmounting usb-storage as usb-sticks and usb-hd. I always get the message "Cannot unmount because file system on device is busy." Mostly I have to shut down the computer or sometimes it works to unmount but it takes maybe 10-20 minutes after I have finished my file transfers before it works to unmount

Offline michaaa62

• User
Problems unmounting usb storage
« Reply #1 on: 2012/10/14, 15:11:30 »
You might try to use 'lsof /dev/YOUR_USB' to look for applications, that prevent the unmount of the device.

Offline Geier0815

• User
Problems unmounting usb storage
« Reply #2 on: 2012/10/15, 11:24:37 »
XFCE? Sometimes it's thumbler that's working on pictures or movies. In many cases it comes not to an end. Sometimes it's xine or mplayer that still stay after click on the cross right-up.
Try the command given by michaaa62 to find it out.
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

Offline vilde

• User
RE: Problems unmounting usb storage
« Reply #3 on: 2012/10/15, 20:49:17 »
I will try, I did today and for the first time in weeks it worked to unmount   :?

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/10/16, 11:34:29 »
Yes it's tumblerd working and causing the trouble. Can I do anything against that? Is it ok to just unplug the usb-storage?

wannek3

« Reply #5 on: 2012/10/17, 12:50:21 »
do a
Code: [Select]
sync before unplugging, to be shure, everything gots written.

tuxracer

Re: Problems unmounting usb storage
« Reply #6 on: 2012/10/25, 03:08:49 »
Quote from: "Geier0815"
XFCE? Sometimes it's thumbler that's working on pictures or movies. In many cases it comes not to an end. Sometimes it's xine or mplayer that still stay after click on the cross right-up.
Try the command given by michaaa62 to find it out.
I can confirm that this happens to me, too.   I also use the XFCE spin.

I copied some .avi files to a usb stick and couldn't unmount after it was done for a while.  I received the same message (output) about the device being busy.  Yet, there was no activity AFAIK or could see from the usb flash drive.

Edit:  The file or file(s) appeared to be there in entirety as well.  Or so it appeared.  

I also waited a while afterwards and it did ultimately unmount.  I don't recall the time period but 15 or so minutes sounds about right.

'sync?'

"You might try to use 'lsof /dev/YOUR_USB' to look for applications, that prevent the unmount of the device."

Thanks.  That looks interesting, too.  
I'll try that next time.

Offline Geier0815

• User
Re: Problems unmounting usb storage
« Reply #7 on: 2012/10/25, 11:07:08 »
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8208 and https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8609 so as you can see the problem is well known for a longer time. For me it's best practice to kill the tumblerd by it's pid.
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

Offline vilde

• User
RE: Re: Problems unmounting usb storage
« Reply #8 on: 2012/11/19, 17:48:13 »
Yesterday I took a little glance at the blog and found out that there is xfce 4.10 available, pity that nobody wrote that on the news on the forum.

Anyway, I updated my xfce to the new one and the problem with unmounting usb-devices seams to be gone. :)

Edit: I think I had wrong, the problem is still there with tumbler :(