Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Copy without stop on error  (Read 2551 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Copy without stop on error
« on: 2019/08/12, 09:20:36 »
Tonight I wanted to move a large amount  nearly 800Gb, of files between two usb disks. "Estimated time 8 hours" This morning  when checking, of cause the file moving has halted with a dialog because something like "wrong filename". This is annoying, because now I have to wait 3 hours more.

Next time, how do I do this without the process is halted because of a single file is not working to move?

Offline Geier0815

• User
Re: Copy without stop on error
« Reply #1 on: 2019/08/12, 09:41:20 »
At such a big chunk I wouldn't trust mv. I would use rsync and after double-checking that everything is all right I would delete the source with rm.
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2019/08/12, 09:51:08 »
At such a big chunk I wouldn't trust mv. I would use rsync and after double-checking that everything is all right I would delete the source with rm.
To simplify i didn't wrote that I did do a copy, not a move. I will check before I delete the source disk. And I did it in GUI.
Edit: The process is ended now, only arround 450 gb was copied, i'ts not working
Edit 2: trying with rsync now
« Last Edit: 2019/08/12, 12:29:43 by vilde »

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #3 on: 2019/08/12, 12:36:25 »
mh, maybe use  "gcp" https://code.lm7.fr/mcy/gcp

it is in debian,
Code: [Select]
apt show gcp
Edit: what about tar? or rsync?

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/08/12, 18:21:00 »
Rsync failed after 7 hours, and now the target hd is not reachable.  I quit this, it's an old internal hard disk I thought I could use as some storage. I bye a new one and keep the files where they are.