Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Set Up Account on First Boot  (Read 2055 times)

Offline eriefisher

• User
[EN] Set Up Account on First Boot
« on: 2022/12/24, 15:03:09 »
I'm not sure if there is a standard way to do this with a typical Linux installer but is there some way to do a fresh install then on first boot handle all the user and root account credentials?

I just acquired a used laptop and would like to pass it or my current laptop along. It would likely not be an accomplished Linux user that receives it. I thought if I could get it all installed then whomever ends up with it would be walked through the initial set up of passwords and such on the first boot.

Thanks for any input and Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline vinzv

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Set Up Account on First Boot
« Reply #1 on: 2022/12/24, 21:54:33 »
It depends on the distribution of your choice, but many of the big players have something called "OEM mode" where you basically:

- install the system
- click on the "prepare for OEM" icon on the desktop
- shutdown
- pass the laptop on

The new owner will get asked for his preferred username, password etc. just like on machines bought from stores.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/12/24, 22:23:26 »
It depends on the distribution of your choice, but many of the big players have something called "OEM mode" where you basically:

- install the system
- click on the "prepare for OEM" icon on the desktop
- shutdown
- pass the laptop on

The new owner will get asked for his preferred username, password etc. just like on machines bought from stores.
That's exactly what I was looking for. I assume this option does not exit in Siduction.

Offline vinzv

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2022/12/24, 23:40:34 »
Nope, unfortunately not. But I guess that's particularly because of siduction's target group of more experienced users.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2022/12/24, 23:42:17 »
A similar/alternative approach would be to set up KDE Kiosk mode. I have not played with it since 10 years, but a quick google check indicates it is still available in Plasma 5. Basically the user does not need a login name or password, and can use the functionalities of the system that you have configured it to allow guest to use.  2 cents' worth.  :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2022/12/25, 14:36:12 »
Thanks guys,
Merry Christmas!