Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  (solved) no login (sddm) after yesterdays d-u. I can't login anymore  (Read 2502 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
Hi
after yesterdays d-u I can't login anymore. Sddm shows up, I can type in my password. But no reaction to the enter key. And no reaction to the mouse when I click on one of the sddm icons. the screen is completly frozen. I only can issue a hard resett ...

As I saw come in some new gtk3 package maybe this is the culprit. Anyway, ynybody any clues how to solve the issue?
« Last Edit: 2022/03/12, 19:56:24 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: no login (sddm) after yesterdays d-u. I can't login anymore
« Reply #1 on: 2022/03/12, 11:17:21 »
I have not personally seen that problem. My thought is this:

On your grub menu,, press "e" to edit, add "3" to the end of the "linux /boot/vmlinuz-5xxx" line, and then Ctrl-X to boot to tty 1.  From there, if you log in as your user, then "startx && exit", it should generate error messages while it attempts to bring up sddm. I think you need those messages to resolve the problem.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline michaa7

• User
Re: no login (sddm) after yesterdays d-u. I can't login anymore
« Reply #2 on: 2022/03/12, 19:56:03 »
Thanks dibl.

Following your advice, at a first attempt "startx && exit", I could read something like "unable ... xserver ...whatever" and I was thrown out within half a second. After I newly logged in and issued again the above command, I got the lxqt Desktop (default is fluxbox!). It worked like it should and I made a d-u again. I rebooted ... and could login normaly in my fluxbox environement.

Strange.

Solved, whatever was the problem.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake