Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] One look at "Upgrade Warnings and I'm even more satisfied to use Xfce  (Read 3101 times)

Offline vilde

• User
As the subject say, compared to Kde and Gnome Xfce feels rock solid. Could be because there s not so heavy development of Xfce? but as I can see on their site they are working hard with bug fixing and there is also a quite new release 3.11.something. I have used Xfce since Kde 3 disappeared and I will not say anything bad about Gnome , Kde or any other user interface and I don't want any discussions about which is best, I just simply want to tell how satisfied I am with my Xfce.
« Last Edit: 2015/01/19, 12:25:14 by vilde »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: open eyes and open mind will help you finding the way
« Reply #1 on: 2015/01/19, 14:46:55 »
hello vilde,

in fact i have done similar big dist-upgrades in the last days with 800 (KDE) and 1100 (GNOME) included packages without breakage.

Though i wouldn't call applying an "apt-get -f install" an issue i will admit that i had to temporarily remove cups-pdf and manually install a libdbus-1-3 update with "dpkg -i" to be able to continue with the dist-upgrade. No big story and not related to a desktop.

Users easily can drive their system to a state where it is unmaintainable. This applies even for stable systems.
Choosing an alternative desktop will not save you.

Observing a few sensible rules might help to not break debian systems. (thx piper, for the link and for all your help!)
Dist-upgrade often, read what apt wants to do and take care! 

In short: Be interested and open minded.

greetings
musca

PS.: And ask for help early enough.
« Last Edit: 2015/01/19, 15:01:20 by musca »
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Hi musca, I built a gnome version (siduction-14.1.0-indiansummer-gnome-amd64-201409291643.iso) and installed it, du'd a few times and really had no time to do anything else because of work, and just yesterday did a du for the first time since Christmas day, had to use
"apt-get -f install" 5 times, all went good :) (lucky) .

Kde at the least I do once a day, except the past 2 weeks, which has been once a week, and has been a few days and looks like

Code: [Select]
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-headers-3.18-3.towo-siduction-amd64 linux-image-3.18-3.towo-siduction-amd64
The following packages will be upgraded:
  bsdutils hwinfo libblkid1 libhd21 libmount1 libsmartcols1 libuuid1 libwine linux-headers-siduction-amd64 linux-image-siduction-amd64 mount util-linux
  wine wine64
14 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Cinnamon & e17 has to be done today after doctors, errands, food shopping, snow blowing driveway, etc 

Yes, dist-upgrade often :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck