Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  kudos for siduction!  (Read 6153 times)

Offline dion

• User
kudos for siduction!
« on: 2019/10/12, 09:57:42 »
Hi all,

My name is Dion van Oirschot. I am the owner/director of a small Belgian firm called Rietland, active in natural waste water treatment. Some of you might have seen me around sometimes on the siduction IRC chat, asking questions.

I write this post just to say thank you to the great team who have been keeping siduction and it's predecessors alive for such a long time already and who have always been very helpful when things went wrong. It must have been around the year 2003 or 2004, I don't remember exactly, when I wanted to switch from Windows to Linux. That was quite a struggle in the beginning as I didn't really know where to start. I was experimenting a bit with Knoppix, when I discovered Kanotix. That was actually the first distro that I succeeded to install on my HDD. Since then I have always used some form of debian sid derived distro, sidux, aptosid and now siduction. And I have used those for my company. So not just a hobby but work-critical. A few weeks ago I hired my first employee and installed siduction on her laptop as well.

Over all these years, of course, sometimes there were some problems. But in general they were always solved quickly with the help of the developers here. So my work never had to suffer much. I think having worked with siduction for so many years as a company-critical OS, proves the quality of this distro. So thanks again folks!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: kudos for siduction!
« Reply #1 on: 2019/10/13, 15:51:59 »
Did your employee know Linux beforehand? How does she fare with it?

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2019/10/13, 22:35:33 »
Using a rolling release for a waste water treatment environment...interesting.  :o

I'd also like to say thank you to the Siduction forum members. A lot of what I've learned about using Debian Unstable has come from posts and responses by the forum members.
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2019/10/14, 10:58:48 »
Did your employee know Linux beforehand? How does she fare with it?
She never worked with Linux. Tomorrow will be her first day using it. I am curious about what she will think of it!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/10/14, 12:17:52 »
Newcomers usually get along nicely with KDE quickly. Please let us know how it goes.

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2019/10/15, 17:55:56 »
First working day for my employee on siduction/KDE. No problems whatsoever. I have changed a few settings to get it more to her liking. And she took a live USB-stick back home with the LXQt flavor to try it out on an old laptop there ;-)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #6 on: 2019/10/17, 02:19:47 »
That's awesome :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2019/10/21, 03:48:42 »
I also started my Debian adventure with Knoppix and eventually followed the same path as many long-term members here, sidux > aptosid > siduction. Regular system backups are the key to safe sid-based rolling release so one can restore a working system if an upgrade disaster happens. Had to do that twice IIRC. It seems a bit brave to use siduction for critical production use, but less so with backups.
I keep telling myself I will switch to Stable and already have 2 smooth Buster KDE installs, but can't bring myself to leave siduction. I actually look forward to a weekly upgrade usually on Sundays (unless a big transition is happening).  ;) 8)