Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Siduction - Great with multi-device btrfs  (Read 4908 times)

timc

[EN] Siduction - Great with multi-device btrfs
« on: 2012/09/06, 16:04:40 »
I run four distros on my PC, with Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Sabayon Linux in addition to Siduction. Here is one way Siduction exceeded the others.

I decided to make a btrfs filesystem for pure data storage and to share that filesystem among all my distros. I started with a single device btrfs on my PC's internal hard drive. After I got it built the way I wanted, I added it to /etc/fstab on all my distros. They all handled it just fine.

Then, I created another partition on my external disk drive and added it to the btrfs. Arch Linux would no longer boot. It did allow me to enter a root console and mount the btrfs, then complete booting. Ubuntu said there were errors mounting it and allowed me to press "S" to skip it. Sabayon didn't mention any errors and booted to completion, but the filesystem was not mounted. In all cases, I could mount the btrfs manually.

Siduction was the only one of my distros that scanned the btrfs during boot up and mount it with no further fuss.

The solution for the others was to specify both devices on the fstab line: "device=/dev/sda4,device=/dev/sdb1".

But, I am just writing this to say, "Kudos to Siduction Linux!"

Tim

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Siduction - Great with multi-device btrfs
« Reply #1 on: 2012/09/06, 19:59:46 »
Hi timc -- yes, I'm a btrfs user also.

My btrfs filesystem runs on a pair of WD1002FAEX hdds, in the default configuration (mirrored metadata, striped data) with compression.  It will be 2 years old at the end of this year.

Code: [Select]
root@imerabox:/home/don# btrfs fi df /mnt/DATA
Data, RAID0: total=966.00GB, used=771.86GB
Data: total=8.00MB, used=0.00
System, RAID1: total=8.00MB, used=84.00KB
System: total=4.00MB, used=0.00
Metadata, RAID1: total=37.62GB, used=1.56GB
Metadata: total=8.00MB, used=0.00

Code: [Select]
root@imerabox:/home/don# btrfs scrub status /mnt/DATA
scrub status for c112ed57-0e33-4d4b-82c9-5c55932c529d
        scrub started at Thu Sep  6 13:49:07 2012 and finished after 3742 seconds
        total bytes scrubbed: 774.98GB with 0 errors
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/09/20, 23:46:26 »
Hi dibl,

I recently read that, among subsequent btrfs releases, there have been format incompatibility issues (more or maybe less than ZFS experienced also). Never experienced those?

Plus, how would you rate the resilience and performance of the FS till now?

THX
---------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM
---------------------------------------

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2012/12/11, 11:22:38 »
Sorry, I had not noticed this question before.  :oops:

My btrfs filesystem continues to perform flawlessly -- zero drama.  It holds about 750GB of music, images, and docs.  That desktop system is normally very stable, but (running sid, you know ....) occasionally there is some kind of crash or lockup that RSEIUB cannot recover.  Probably there have been 4 or 5 of those in two years.  So it has taken some hard power-off experiences, and it has never shown any ill effects from that.

The only issue I have ever seen with it was when I tried to run a VM. The btrfs design did not consider a single huge file (like a VM) that has many fast changes.  In that use case, it slows down to a crawl.  That was over a year ago, and I do not know whether the btrfs dev team has made any improvements for VM performance.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

timc

« Reply #4 on: 2012/12/11, 13:42:39 »
Thanks, dibl. Since I originally wrote my top post, I have converted my PC to Siduction Linux, only. I added a disk drive and made a 1.9 TB RAID-0 btrfs volume. I installed Siduction root on it. Knock on wood, but it has performed flawlessly for over three months.

Its smooth handling of btrfs was one of the main reasons I chose Siduction as my exclusive OS, after a couple of years of distro hopping. I am still very happy with this choice.

Tim