Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] howto install wifi *from second usb stick* during install?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
Hi,

while running the installer (Indian summer / xorg64) I get a notice for my wifi and re intel-micocode. I now have the three respective packages (both aformentioned plus the utility intel-microcode depends on) on a second usb stick (first stick is the booted siduction ISO).

How is the best way to proceed? Install siduction and dpkg -i the three packages afterwards? Any other and better way? (I can't apt-get directly as my router/LAN has dhcp disabled)
« Last Edit: 2015/02/06, 11:32:00 by musca »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
one can install these packages in a live system or afterwards - the result should be the same
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
ok, I did install those packages to the live system and then started the install. Worked successfully.

For a better understanding: *All* changes one makes to the live system affect the install? It does not get installed what's in the ISO, but what is in RAM?

Thanks.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
it will be copied what is on whatever live filesystem - and afterwards some packages will be purged, some settings will be changed and/or deleted - thats all.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Hello michaa7,

yes, your new, free life with siduction starts straight from booting the live system.

Not only new packages become part of your install, also system settings from /etc or user settings from /home/* do survive the install. This is a great opportunity to check if your preferred application works. And if the test succeeds, then your effort is saved and it is part of the install. On the other hand, if you fail and break the settings, then you better void that try and reboot a clean live system before you proceed with the install.

Another option is updating the installer before installing (when updates are available). This allows for bugfixes without a fresh release. You can use the "update"-Button in the installer or do:
apt-get update && apt-get install sidu-installer sidu-base pywwetha
If you like you even can play a little more and boot to the multi-user.target (by adding a "3" at the boot prompt) and modify settings or install additional drivers before continuing to the graphical.target "systemctl isolate graphical.target". You can change the KDE cursor theme from sharpdot to Adwaita with "update-alternatives --set x-cursor-theme /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/cursor.theme". You can add contrib and non-free sources and install the virtualbox-guest-dkms + virtualbox-guest-x11 (or qemu-guest-agent). In the past i have successfully installed the nvidia-driver after blacklisting the nouveau module (beware, AMD Radeon is special). Anything goes that doesn't require reboot, and lucky linux users don't need reboots (mostly).

greetings
musca

[Edit. and marked solved]
« Last Edit: 2015/02/06, 11:33:24 by musca »
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)