Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] iso won't work  (Read 5324 times)

tuxracer

[EN] iso won't work
« on: 2012/07/22, 18:59:06 »
Sorry, for the vague subject title.  It's just a report.  I wanted to give 12.1.1 a try.

But, I've tried sidux -> aptosid -> 'and now this' and each time, there is always problems for me with CDs/DVDs/ and of course, usb (stick).

I don't know what it is.  So, I've always abandoned trying to use it.  I was somehow able to have a sidux DVD once.

Anyway, I followed the instructions in the online manual.  I also used up a DVD and the xfce spin crashed.

I then tried the dd command to create the .iso on my usb stick but it crashes out and my num and caps lock flash repeatedly.  I even prefer the usb method but something is always not right and it doesn't boot properly.  

I also tried unetbootin but I get the same result.  

I'm willing to try 5 min projects after this but that's it.  I am resigned to go with Debian sid or LMDE as I need to re-install on one of my partitions and have one free.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
iso won
« Reply #1 on: 2012/07/22, 19:25:01 »
Unetbootin is known to not work with siduction (or debian).
Unfortunately, other than that there is no usable info in your post to determine what your problem might be.

If you want us to debug this, you need to help us and tell us your hardware and what exactly happens when you try to boot.

As you can tell by looking at this forum, noone else seems to have these problems. So we really need all the info we can get.

greetz
devil

tuxracer

RE: iso won
« Reply #2 on: 2012/07/22, 22:30:01 »
I'm not sure how to retrieve most of the info.  But, it hangs on fullscreen console (shell screen).

"Please press enter to activate this console"

It looks to me like an X Server issue but I'm not sure how to tackle it.

When I type 'Enter'. it ends up at a prompt:   siducer@siduction:~$

This is the DVD w/ xfce version.

I tried creating the image onto usb stick (KDE ver.) but it doesn't even get that far.  There's a bunch of '????' so I assume something didn't get written properly.

I have LGA 775 hardware and my video card is a Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT.  It's old but X Server and Linux OS should all account for at least older Nvida hardware by now?  Even if it forces driver use to VESA. :-/   If the culprit is something else, I would have no idea.

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/07/22, 22:33:05 »
And your hardware is a secret?
You have checked the md5sum of your iso?
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2012/07/23, 02:05:07 »
Do this as root (after downloading the CORRECT ARCHITECTURE .iso to your ~/Downloads folder):

Code: [Select]
/home/tuxracer# dd if=/home/tuxracer/Downloads/siduction-12.1.1-desperadoreloaded-kde-i386-201206241910.iso of=/dev/sdg

assuming /dev/sdg is your usb stick, and
-i386 is the architecture you need.

I just made a USB stick 1 hour ago, using this method, and it works perfectly on a crappy old Dell Optiplex 270, so .....
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

tuxracer

« Reply #5 on: 2012/07/23, 03:40:33 »
On my machine, nothing happens.  It just hangs there and nothing displays on the usb stick.

As usual, it's impossible to write anything to a usb stick using CLI.  It's my experience, anyway.  That's why I always have to resort to using unetbootin.  Or using a CD/DVD.

tuxracer

« Reply #6 on: 2012/07/23, 03:58:56 »
P.S. I also think it's bad to use KDE as your base.

I've been looking at using a different DE and finally, I will do so.

Partition Manager all of a sudden fails to start.  Way too many bugs with KDE nowadays.

tuxracer

« Reply #7 on: 2012/07/23, 04:57:18 »
Somehow, I got it to work.   I tried the xfce spin and I didn't like that there's no choices of what to use.  I could not update and the default editor is just awful.  I don't care if it's free but 'mcedit' is probably the least user friendly and most awful editor, ever.  Well, it was worth a try but I went way over 5 minutes.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2012/07/23, 09:07:49 »
For a start: All our offered Iso-Images work as expected.

As usual, it's impossible to write anything to a usb stick using CLI.

As usual, and I do it most every day,
Code: [Select]
dd if=/path/to/siduction-*.iso of=/dev/sdX
works very well. After that, boot and do whatever you want to do. I told you yesterday that unetbootin will most likely not work. If you want it graphical, there is iso2usb on our Iso inmages.
P.S. I also think it's bad to use KDE as your base. ...
Partition Manager all of a sudden fails to start. Way too many bugs with KDE nowadays.

What do you mean by choices? There is almost 30.000 apps in debian and everyone of them is just an apt-get install away.

KDE is perfectly fine for whoever likes it. I do and have been doing so for many years. I would be interested to find out about the bugs you find in KDE, so i can try to reproduce them, file a bugreport and get them fixed. That is how Linux works.

Gparted not starting from the menu is a bug in gparted, not in KDE. Gparted starts fine from within our installer though.
I tried the xfce spin and I didn't like that there's no choices of what to use.

It would be nice if you tell us, WHY things do not work. Why could you not upgrade? I can and do so every day.  If you do not tell us, why things do not work and provide error messages, we might consider you a troll and just ignore you.
I don't care if it's free but 'mcedit' is probably the least user friendly and most awful editor, ever.

That is just a matter of choice. Once you tell it to use its internal editor, all is fine. What it uses by default is nano.
Well, it was worth a try but I went way over 5 minutes.

I do not understand what you are trying to say.

By the way, we do have a fine manual, that people wrote for free in their free time to explain how siduction works.

greetz
devil

Offline Jörg

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2012/07/23, 10:20:24 »
Good lord, devil, your patience would make an Asian monnik in his nineties proud!

Greetings,
Jorg

tuxracer

Re: RE: iso won
« Reply #10 on: 2012/07/23, 14:19:32 »
Quote from: "Jörg"
Good lord, devil, your patience would make an Asian *monnik* in his nineties proud!

Greetings,
Jorg
I guess I deserved that but I don't how effective it is constructing an insult using two languages.  

I have no objections to devil's tone.  Devil is right with his comments.  I still don't like mcedit, though.  It's base is nano, really?  I've used nano lots of times and never had trouble with it. :)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: RE: iso won
« Reply #11 on: 2012/07/23, 14:23:09 »

I still don't like mcedit, though. It's base is nano, really? I've used nano lots of times and never had trouble with it. Smile

I dislike a lot of tools in linux, so i just do not use them.  I dislike the whole of Gnome for example. One of the best things about linux is choice.
apt-get purge foo && apt-get install bar.

greetz
devil