Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  (solved) PCmanfm  (Read 2989 times)

Offline titan

• User
(solved) PCmanfm
« on: 2016/03/28, 11:34:24 »
Probably one for Alf

I alternate between  lxqt and i3 on PC and laptop and there is a bug in pcman-qt on i3 where the icons cannot be set, well they can but do not survive a reboot. This problem used to exist in lxqt but was fixed a while back. pcmanfm works fine on both lxqt and i3 so not wanting two file managers  tried to remove pcman-qt  only to find it is now a dependency of lxqt-core so can't be removed this seems a backward step to me as most users have their own favourite file manager. Does anyone know if  there is a way to get the icons to work in pcman-qt on i3 .

thanks
« Last Edit: 2016/03/29, 09:55:15 by piper »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: PCmanfm
« Reply #1 on: 2016/03/28, 12:07:56 »
hi, first - pcmanfm-qt must be a part of lxtqt-core - lxqt-core and lxqt are the meta-packages to install lxqt - beside the package desktop-task-lxqt. As all metapackages and task they can be happily removed at wish.
Hm - not to be unkind, but i don't think that we (the LXQt Project and Debian LXQt Packaging Team) will remove pcmanfm-qt from lxqt-core nor make it a recommend  because it is really a LXQt core package.

the icon thing is more complicated - this should be a i3 setting, we could figure it out in IRC
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2016/03/28, 15:02:52 »
Thanks for the reply, I now have pcmanfm working ( with proper icons) on both lxqt and i3 with no pcman-qt installed. I have tried with openbox and kwin but there seems no way to set wallpaper that is no big deal. I assume this is connected to pcman-fm as looking at the dependencies for lxqt-core and lxqt metapackages I have all the dependencies installed.

The icon issue also happens with pcman-qt on openbox so I think it is a pcman-qt issue. i3 is just a window manager as far as I know it has no control over any app settings.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2016/03/28, 16:28:06 »
erm - you mix things :)

pcmafm-qt should work with i3, the icon thing may be related to lxqt-qtplugin. and one could draw the desktop with pcmanfm too i think its the --desktop switch in both programs
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2016/03/28, 16:57:19 »
we should talk in IRC - despite the fact that i dunno nothing about i3 i got it running without problems.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2016/03/28, 18:00:51 »
Thanks again, the --desktop switch does give a desktop with a right click menu and allows setting a wallpaper both in pcmanfm and pcmanfm-qt . However having just reinstalled pcmanfm-qt I still have the original no icon problem lxqt-qtplugin was already installed. I can choose an icon set from the preference menu which works but close and re open pcmanfm-qt and again no icons. i3 runs fine with all my other applications,  pcmanfm-qt icons is the only problem I have.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/03/28, 18:23:59 »
Since pcmanfm-qt worked on your pc with i3 ( thanks for trying that) I assumed it must be my pc only, I looked at the config file it looked ok but I deleted it anyway and after  setting icons in pcmanfm-qt it is now surviving a restart, so it looks like it may be fixed.          :)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2016/03/28, 18:49:26 »
titan - check for lxqt-qtplugin

i took a xorg-image install i3 + some related packages, removed fluxbox and installed the faenza-icon-theme. then i installed lxqt via metapackages. after that i choose i3 as window manager in session settings and was done with that

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2016/03/28, 19:07:44 »

itan - check for lxqt-qtplugin

I had checked, it was installed. pcmafm-qt is now working fine with icons, it looks like I had a corrupted config file.

thanks again for your help.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2016/03/29, 09:36:04 »
Just an update, last night I fixed my laptop exactly the same way and this was a clean install a month ago. Just deleted the ~/.config/pcmanfm-qt folder opened pcmanfm-qt set the icons of choice and it all works the icons remain.