Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [SOLVED]Where are system log files  (Read 4820 times)

mdavies5

[EN] [SOLVED]Where are system log files
« on: 2014/11/30, 06:17:58 »
I understand there is no syslog under systemd but I cannot find any logs under "journal". I am having a few intermittent problems when booting and restarting is only possible with a hard reboot. I am capable of debugging these problems if I have access to syslog or equivalent. Any suggestions where I can find such an animal?
Thanks
Mike
« Last Edit: 2014/12/01, 02:48:48 by mdavies5 »

Offline ayla

• User
Re: Where are system log files
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/30, 07:06:19 »
use "journalctl" on command line.

eg:
Code: [Select]
journalctl -b -p err # see only the errors from current boot
journalctl -b -x # complete journal of last boot with explanations where available
journalctl -h # journalctl's help

The files are binaries AFAIK, and not readable in an editor.

greets
ayla

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/30, 08:43:18 »
I have not found any way to direct the messages to an console (tty12) as, I used to do so before systemd.
So I have additional installed rsyslog and it does the job for for that.
I included *.*       /dev/tty12 in rsyslog.conf. So all messages come again to that console.
It is surely an overhead but I have found noc way yet to achieve that with systemd.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Online devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/11/30, 09:25:52 »
mdavies5,

what version of siduction are you using?  If I remember correctly, with 'december' you still needed to set up journal manualy. Our manual has the needed information. With our latest release everything is set up out of the box and journal should work automaticaly.

greetz
devil

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/11/30, 17:53:19 »
More info WAS at  freedescktop.org  However it appears that they are changing wiki types. I'm not finding the info to the problems I had previous involving journal set up. 

In /etc/systemd/journald.conf the first option is about storage.  I believe "no" was an option- but there was a subtle difference between persistent and auto.  "auto" automatically set up the /var/log directories and files whereas "persistent" meant that the user had to create the appropriate directories and files in /var/log. 

Some nice stuff at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal   

especially sections   Journald in conjunction with syslog

and

Forward jornald to /dev/tty12

I did discover that going into the Freedestop wiki via Arch links is a workaround to see their files easier.
peace

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/11/30, 20:19:29 »
... The files are binaries AFAIK, and not readable in an editor...

Not directly readable, yes. But as a hint, one can use the --no-pager switch for journalctl to have a classic output to console, i.e.
journalctl -b --no-pager
---
I have not found any way to direct the messages to an console (tty12) as, I used to do so before systemd. ...

Man journald.conf mentions two keywords for that, ForwardToConsole= and TTYPath=
ForwardToSyslog=, ForwardToKMsg=, ForwardToConsole=, ForwardToWall=
  Control whether log messages received by the journal daemon shall be forwarded to a traditional syslog daemon, to the kernel log buffer (kmsg), to the
system console, or sent as wall messages to all logged-in users. These options take boolean arguments. If forwarding to syslog is enabled but no syslog
daemon is running, the respective option has no effect. By default, only forwarding wall is enabled. These settings may be overridden at boot time with the
kernel command line options "systemd.journald.forward_to_syslog=", "systemd.journald.forward_to_kmsg=", "systemd.journald.forward_to_console=" and
 "systemd.journald.forward_to_wall=". When forwarding to the console, the TTY to log to can be changed with TTYPath=, described below.

TTYPath=
  Change the console TTY to use if ForwardToConsole=yes is used. Defaults to /dev/console.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

mdavies5

« Reply #6 on: 2014/12/01, 02:48:21 »
Thanks Ayla, this was exactly what I needed.

Offline ReinerS

• User
Re: [SOLVED]Where are system log files
« Reply #7 on: 2014/12/01, 11:27:26 »
@der_bud: Thank you !. Seems I have not read this right. I`ll experiment with that.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction