Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.  (Read 8756 times)

bryn1u

[EN] Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.
« on: 2012/01/24, 10:14:36 »
Hi.

I was wondering what exaclly is diffrent in siduction (without new packages).Is there the same kernel 1000 hz ? Which options is better lxde, kde, xfce ? Is kde modified for better perfomance ?

Greetz.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/24, 11:49:37 »
In the first release, there is not so much difference. we use a different package-set, one more flavour (lxde) our own kernel (what is a 1000 hz kernel? "CONFIG_HZ_1000=y" is set), and, of course different artwork.

What option is better, is mostly dictated by your likes and by your hardware. Older hardware with little RAM is happy with lxde or xfce. KDE is fun with 4 GByte of ram or more.

greetz
devil

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/24, 14:16:08 »
Welcome to siduction:
In my eyes, the community and the way people politly discuss are very different between the two. I decided to switch to siduction.
But this is a personal choice from my own experience.

To your second question:
I use kde which suits my purposes best. Even on my laptop and my older pentium4 computers I use it. I supppose, taht on older computers or netbooks lxde or xfce could give you a better performance.

As devil said, it also a question of your personal taste. Just download the three iso on  usb sticks, test them and decide afterwards, or install kde and add the other ones later with apt-get install. It will only take some minutes!

mylo

Re: Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/24, 16:09:51 »
Quote from: "devil"
In the first release, there is not so much difference....

What is about the spirit in the community and the non existing muzzles?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.
« Reply #4 on: 2012/01/24, 16:12:16 »
They are not part of the release, but part of the community.

greetz
devil

mystika1

RE: Re: Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/26, 06:28:17 »
I used aptosid in the past and never made a single post in the forum because it can get a bit harsh at times. The atmosphere here is way better.

As for which version to install..I use lxde. My hardware is not old but I like a really fast machine. lxde is very fast and reliable. You will have to get "under the hood" so to speak to configure it to your liking but it is worth it. I was a die hard KDE fan until I discovered the speed of lxde. A live cd of each would be your best bet until you pick a favorite.

Penny

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/27, 03:12:24 »
LXDE does rock on even a multi-core machine...however I got to like Openbox and Fluxbox as well.

hinto

« Reply #7 on: 2012/01/27, 04:53:58 »
When you choose a distro, you choose a repo, and a forum.
3 for 3 at siduction
-Hinto

Edit:
BTW... I do dig the LXDE version.  I just wish LXDE had better dual head support.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2012/01/27, 11:54:04 »
@DeepDayze, doesnt LXDE use an openbox as Wm? You probably mean:
Beside LXDE you yourself configured your own openbox session type?

You can run a kde session type above openbox also. The only caveat of this configuration is, you dont get automatically to other desktops if you click on the panel on a window runing anywhere else. In effect you then run a panel kind of "show only apps of this desktop"
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

sqlpython

« Reply #9 on: 2012/02/07, 09:09:17 »
3 for 3 at siduction

Agreed! Burned and used Aptosid a few times. Nice Distro but the some of the forum members...??? not friendly..

Anyway I jumped onto Siduction and gave a try few weeks ago but never had the time to finish my look..
  Brilliant job!! by all involved... Kernel, packages, Art, repo, Docs, Forum, Web page.. Great job!!
  Yesterday, I read the Siduction Manual Firmware Non-Free which help me to Download (to Wheezy Partition) the iwlwi firmware for my Laptop Wifi (iwlagn)..and then
 dpkg -i, modprobe, network restart, ifconfig wlan0 up and finished up with Ceni..
 Couldn't be easier (unless the wifi came up running that is)
All on a LiveCD..
 Works great and liking it so much I will do a HD install..
Running on this machine...
#!CrunchBang, Squeeze, Wheezy and Slackware (all Xfce)..

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: Aptosid vs Siduction ? Few question.
« Reply #10 on: 2012/02/07, 16:32:31 »
Quote from: "sqlpython"
3 for 3 at siduction

Agreed! Burned and used Aptosid a few times. Nice Distro but the some of the forum members...??? not friendly..

Anyway I jumped onto Siduction and gave a try few weeks ago but never had the time to finish my look..
  Brilliant job!! by all involved... Kernel, packages, Art, repo, Docs, Forum, Web page.. Great job!!
  Yesterday, I read the Siduction Manual Firmware Non-Free which help me to Download (to Wheezy Partition) the iwlwi firmware for my Laptop Wifi (iwlagn)..and then
 dpkg -i, modprobe, network restart, ifconfig wlan0 up and finished up with Ceni..
 Couldn't be easier (unless the wifi came up running that is)
All on a LiveCD..
 Works great and liking it so much I will do a HD install..
Running on this machine...
#!CrunchBang, Squeeze, Wheezy and Slackware (all Xfce)..

Welcome to siduction...great people who are willing to help, and any ideas you have are welcomed (unlike that other place)

sqlpython

« Reply #11 on: 2012/02/07, 19:13:32 »
Welcome to siduction...great people who are willing to help, and any ideas you have are welcomed(unlike the other place)

Thanks!.. Yeah, I hear you.
I will keep myself available and help with questions as I can..
Such a good job done to date, not much to do..functionally.
Though Wiki How Tos and Docs are a never ending need for every Distro.

Personally, I have been working with pyqt4 and using QTDesigner for the forms. Converting and then following up with an IDE like ERIC.. to enhance/expand/finish the Python code. One of the first searches I did was to make sure I could continue my PyQt work in the Siduction environment..& I can.
I want to be able to offer the QT apps for Squeeze, Wheezy and Unstable.

If I ever finish my current project which is a QT based Settings Manager & I submit that project, I will look to tinkering with some further pyqt desktop apps.. considering Panel Apps..

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2012/02/08, 02:22:00 »
Quote from: "sqlpython"
Welcome to siduction...great people who are willing to help, and any ideas you have are welcomed(unlike the other place)

Thanks!.. Yeah, I hear you.
I will keep myself available and help with questions as I can..
Such a good job done to date, not much to do..functionally.
Though Wiki How Tos and Docs are a never ending need for every Distro.

Personally, I have been working with pyqt4 and using QTDesigner for the forms. Converting and then following up with an IDE like ERIC.. to enhance/expand/finish the Python code. One of the first searches I did was to make sure I could continue my PyQt work in the Siduction environment..& I can.
I want to be able to offer the QT apps for Squeeze, Wheezy and Unstable.

If I ever finish my current project which is a QT based Settings Manager & I submit that project, I will look to tinkering with some further pyqt desktop apps.. considering Panel Apps..

Sounds like an interesting project and good luck with it. Siduction is a great platform for such projects and with the cutting edge stuff you'd find in Debian Sid you can develop some cool apps and such