Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Looking for the smallest laptop/notebook running siduction?  (Read 3756 times)

Offline vilde

• User
Because I don't like the google/apple and so on messed up *pads I am looking for a small computer/pad to take with me when I'm traveling. So I want to know about the smallest and lightest usable travel companion able to run siduction. Must have wifi.

Offline michaaa62

• User
Looking for the smallest laptop/notebook running siduction?
« Reply #1 on: 2013/03/23, 11:57:11 »
For me it is the tablet Wetab
- WiFi,
- 3G  
- 32GB SSD
- 11,6" Touchscreen 1366x768
- 1GB RAM
- Intel Atom processor, which might be 64-bit-capable, but only uses max 2GB RAM.

On ebay approx 200€

You may need an USB-keyboard during install and setup.

http://wetab.mobi/en/product/

Edit: If you somehow turn freedom hater, it also runs Windows7 and 8, also Android-x86  :wink:

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Looking for the smallest laptop/notebook running siducti
« Reply #2 on: 2013/03/23, 13:23:52 »
Three or four years ago the "netbook" was all the rage, and I bought this Toshiba NB205 with an Intel N280 atom CPU. I put in a 40GB SSD, and an extra 1GB of memory, and it is a perfect little traveler. But now Toshiba does not even make such small computers -- everyone has run to the tablets. If I needed another one, I would look at something like the Acer AOD270-1375.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2013/03/23, 13:35:28 »
there are some interesting zen-books from asus (11,3")
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline vilde

• User
Re: Looking for the smallest laptop/notebook running siducti
« Reply #4 on: 2013/03/23, 14:07:01 »
@ michaaa62, do you have personal experience with the Wetab and siduction?

The Zenbook looks good but it's a little to much money.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2013/03/23, 14:07:22 »
Also, the new Asus EEE PCs look pretty good at 10.1" diagonal.  Here is one:

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1011CX/#specifications

But I would have to change the hdd for a SSD.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/03/23, 14:36:09 »
The small eepc also looks nice but when I looked at it, it remind me of my problem with touch-pads, I really hate them, probably is something to get used to but I normally only use thinkpads with track-points and the touch-pad disabled in bios. I think I'd prefer a tablet with touchscreen than a notebook with touch-pad.

But it's always a mix between cost and other features so keep on with your suggestions.

Offline michaaa62

• User
Re: Looking for the smallest laptop/notebook running siducti
« Reply #7 on: 2013/03/23, 20:31:46 »
Quote from: "vilde"
@ michaaa62, do you have personal experience with the Wetab and siduction?

The Zenbook looks good but it's a little to much money.

Only from a Live-USB-stick with the develoment gnome3 release, which i like for partitioning an administrative stuff, like backups with plain dd to SD-card.

Gnome3,as much as i like it and use it on my notebook and desktop computer is not that great a choice for this tablet, too small vertical screen estate, with panel and dock taking some space and are still not movable. Also the on-screen keyboard is limited without all those linux specific helpers like <tab> and those missing arrow keys.

On the bright side all the devices are fully supported out of the box, though i never tried the 3G in siduction.
But it works in some 11.04 Kubuntu derivate called Yawos, which is a community driven OS for the Wetab.

The drawback could be its weight, almost 1kg, and the fan that is coming up from time to time. Also being Atom-architecture the battery lasts between 4 to 5 hours.

Offline vilde

• User
RE: Re: Looking for the smallest laptop/notebook running sid
« Reply #8 on: 2013/03/24, 19:17:50 »
OK, sounds like it could be some issues with the wetab, would be fun to play with if I had one for little money but....I found a used lenovo s10 today for not so much. I will put a ssd disk in it and try that a while.