Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  sidu-base package is broken unless systemd is installed  (Read 7805 times)

wicket

Today I ran a dist-upgrade only to find that sidu-base could not be installed:

Code: [Select]
Setting up sidu-base (2014.03.07) ...
/usr/bin/sidu-control: line 19: systemctl: command not found
dpkg: error processing package sidu-base (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127

As you can see, the sidu-control shell script is dependent on the systemctl command which is part of systemd.  I do not want to use systemd for various reasons (which I won't detail here) and I have chosen to continue using System V init system for the time being.  Despite Debian choosing to use systemd as the default init system for Jessie, they will continue to give users the freedom of choice and System V init will continue to be supported.  Is this not the case for siduction?  I had assumed it was as I was never forced to install systemd.  Either way, the package is broken because even if you have given up on supporting SysV init, there is a dependency on systemd and it should be specified in the package dependencies.

I do hope you haven't given up on those of us still using SysV init so I can continue using this great distro, however I will sooner switch distros than lose my freedom of choice.

Cheers.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: sidu-base package is broken unless systemd is installed
« Reply #1 on: 2014/03/23, 19:59:24 »
At the moment your only choice is: puge siduction-base and use sysvinit. We will fix the manual- and base-package eventually. But in the long run i don't think that we will active support sysvinit any longer. We will not make any dependencies to systemd if not needed - and there will be only a handful of packages require systemd. But for these package we are not willing nor have the manpower to provide support for systemd and sysvinit.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

wicket

« Reply #2 on: 2014/03/23, 20:30:12 »
Thank you very much for your prompt and informative reply. 

Purging sidu-base sounds like good solution.  From the package description it seems to be a toolkit for Django GUI applications, so it's not as critical as the package name had me believe.  The only package I have installed that is dependent on sidu-base is sidu-disk-cente which I don't need either.

I appreciate that you have limited manpower which means that you can only support one init system.  As long you don't intentionally do anything that might break SysV init or introduce any critical dependencies on systemd, I'll continue to be a happy siduction user.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2014/03/23, 20:46:20 »
Hello wicket,
thanks for your commitment.

A bug has been opened in the siduction bugtracker for this issue.
Bug #1525 (New): sidu-manual must not depend on systemd for the server-package

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

UP2L8

« Reply #4 on: 2014/03/29, 07:19:06 »
I got the same error as wicket.  What are the repercussions of not purging sidu-base?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/03/29, 09:09:05 »
Our manual depends on it.

greetz
devil

wicket

« Reply #6 on: 2014/03/29, 20:32:05 »
I got the same error as wicket.  What are the repercussions of not purging sidu-base?

sidu-base and any packages that depend on it will not be updated.  dist-upgrade will continue to fail until the bug is resolved, you purge sidu-base or you switch to systemd.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2014/03/29, 20:46:02 »
We suggest the second :P
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

UP2L8

« Reply #8 on: 2014/03/29, 22:38:52 »
Thank you all for your replies.

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/04/02, 12:44:19 »
We suggest the second :P

I was hoping to read the manual to see how to convert to systemd! Any way to circumvent this catch22?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #10 on: 2014/04/02, 16:10:34 »
Where is the Catch 22? We are no pilots ....

apt-get install systemd sytemd-sysv libpam-systemd systemd-ui
should solve your problems.

If you want use systemd-jounal - thats easy too:

addgroup --system systemd-journal
mkdir -p /var/log/journal
chown root:systemd-journal /var/log/journal
gpasswd -a $user systemd-journal
done.

At your wish, purge the old rsyslog.

Finally: PRAY and reboot - the order of praying and doing the reboot doesn't really matter 8)

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2014/04/02, 16:15:05 »
Catch 22 was I needed sidu-base to read the manual on how to convert to systemd . . . but sidu-base required systemd which I wanted to move to . . . . but thanks for the information and to irc earlier

Finally: PRAY and reboot - the order of praying and doing the reboot doesn't really matter
  :D
« Last Edit: 2014/04/02, 16:21:09 by drb »

wicket

« Reply #12 on: 2014/04/04, 22:22:25 »
sidu-base and any packages that depend on it will not be updated.  dist-upgrade will continue to fail until the bug is resolved, you purge sidu-base or you switch to systemd.

I should have also mentioned that you can also hold the package back until the bug is resolved:

# echo "sidu-base hold" | dpkg --set-selections
I've just had to do this for network-manager which is now dependent on systemd. :(
« Last Edit: 2014/04/04, 22:25:41 by wicket »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #13 on: 2014/04/04, 23:51:07 »
sidu-base has just been split in 2 packages, sidu-manual will be soon. That should solve the bug.

greetz
devil

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2014/04/05, 05:03:19 »
@wicket  Just an FYI,  learned this from devil.  Instead of the old way of putting a package on hold, just do:
apt-mark hold sidu-baseSeems that apt is a lot smarter.
Linux Counter number 348347