Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  util-linux  (Read 7235 times)

Offline terroreek

• User
util-linux
« on: 2014/10/26, 17:43:32 »
I am just trying to do a du and it looks when upgrading util-linux 2.25.2-2 it gets stuck at update-initramfs.  I am not sure if anyone else is having this issue.  In the mean time I did a apt-mark hold util-linux to apply all the other updates. 

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: util-linux
« Reply #1 on: 2014/10/26, 18:01:21 »
It went through correctly here, on 3 systems:

Code: [Select]
root@imerabox:/# apt-cache policy util-linux
util-linux:
  Installed: 2.25.2-2
  Candidate: 2.25.2-2
  Version table:
 *** 2.25.2-2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

However, I remember that on d-u yesterday, on several machines, there was a step that took an unusually long time to finish processing, like 5 minutes on a fast system.  I did not make a note of which package was involved.

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/10/26, 20:06:24 »
I am not sure why, but it took a really, really long time.  Longer than 15mins.  I have i7 2600K with 16Gb of ram, so normally even a couple hundred updates takes less than 5 mins.  I can't say how long exactly, but enough time to make breakfast, eat breakfast, and watch some tv. 

Gotcha

« Reply #3 on: 2014/10/27, 04:21:56 »
After observing this site for awhile, seeing so many reported problems on updating, I think some basic info on the Debian updating process is needed. I have been using sid in a number of forms for over 10 years. I update every day without fail, if of course, it is wise to do so. The servers for requesting updates should always be slower than the downloading of the actual update due to translations. Many times I have caught the servers loading up in midstream and needed two or three tries to get all available. You can get all kinds of no response to slow response and downloading depending on the timing of your update as the various servers around the world are loaded and synced up. So, take a break for an hour, a day if needed and don't try to force things and try all kinds of manipulations when all you had to do is wait awhile. I know, I know, you have to have it now or life as you know it will cease to exist.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2014/10/27, 04:32:08 »
... I think some basic info on the Debian updating process is needed. I have been using sid in a number of forms for over 10 years...

Thanks for your concern.  Most of the members of this forum are experienced in managing a sid system.  We use the "Upgrade Warnings" sub-forum to keep informed about current upgrade issues.  Here is a sid system that was originally installed in July, 2011:

Code: [Select]
root@imerabox:~# inxi -v3
System:    Host: imerabox Kernel: 3.17-1.towo.2-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.1)
           Console: tty 0
           Distro: aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-lite - (201107131633)
Machine:   System: ASUS product: All Series
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-WS v: Rev 1.xx serial: 140120573900033
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2004 date: 06/05/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4770 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28020
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 3400 MHz 2: 3713 MHz 3: 3400 MHz
           4: 3400 MHz 5: 3587 MHz 6: 3400 MHz 7: 3527 MHz 8: 3546 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] bus-ID: 05:00.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.16.1 driver: nvidia
           tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
Network:   Card-1: Intel I210 Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: igb v: 5.2.13-k port: d000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: e0:3f:49:e6:85:c3
           Card-2: Intel I210 Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: igb v: 5.2.13-k port: a000 bus-ID: 0a:00.0
           IF: eth2 state: down mac: e0:3f:49:e6:85:c4
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2220.5GB (30.4% used) ID-1: model: OCZ
           ID-2: model: WDC_WD1000DHTZ ID-3: model: WDC_WD1000DHTZ
           ID-4: model: OCZ ID-5: model: Hitachi_HTS72101
Info:      Processes: 240 Uptime: 7 days Memory: 545.0/7929.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.14

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2014/10/27, 04:48:46 »
Well, a lot of us here, me included, have been using sid for over a decade on production machines/servers.

I would love to know what "form" or number of "forms" of sid you are using/used,  and please, explain this in detail.

Hmm, when things in debian are broke upstream, your telling us

I update every day without fail, if of course, it is wise to do so

Interesting indeed.

We also have a thread just for that and that includes multiarch.

You do know sid also updates 4 times a day, I used to know the times of day that it updates, but, not as important anymore.

« Last Edit: 2014/10/27, 04:53:21 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/10/27, 09:45:01 »
i'd like to point out that i find Gotchas statement
take a break for an hour, a day if needed and don't try to force things and try all kinds of manipulations when all you had to do is wait awhile.
absolutely valid.

why picking on his statement regarding his own personal 10 year long experience? instead, just confirm by saying something like "yeah, right, chill out... and check the forums, maybe there is some additional relevant info out there". and if there is none then write a short warning.

more experienced users will know how to handle their machine. less experienced ones will appreciate this kind of calm and relaxed approach.

my personal experience is that this has been one of the main (unwritten) guidelines over all the years, even when i started back then with kanotix, and probably before that, too

just my 2ct

[fixed typos]
« Last Edit: 2014/10/27, 11:19:35 by absolut »

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/10/27, 09:52:20 »
@absolut: +1

Greetings
Tom

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/10/27, 10:21:43 »
@absolut: +1

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/10/27, 15:56:45 »
Opinions are purely subjective ;)

What it really breaks down to is that people don't read.

That is a huge problem in today's society.

Spoon-feeding is the norm - not bad to a certain extent, read it, learn it, live it.

Another problem is people don't understand or search what is to be removed or installed, what the dependencies are, etc .., they just press "Y" or use even worse synaptic (usually ex ubuntu users)

Most, if not, all the dist-upgrade problems can be avoided by using the forum or irc.

Sometimes it's debian, sometimes it pebac

I just didn't like the authoritative position on acting superior on the first post in this forum, but, then again, that's what opinions are for

From mandrake to woody, knoppix, kanotix, sidux, aptosid, siduction same problems, actually look at arch, gentoo forums, it's all the same there, but, like I said opinions are just that, and I actually find this very funny but any distro has the same problem.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2014/10/27, 16:23:49 »
  The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
  Daniel J. Boorstin

Gotcha

« Reply #11 on: 2014/10/27, 21:13:47 »
Wow, I didn't know the Aptosid guys were over here with their former bad atitude. You like me even more now, don't you? Settle down people, It was just an observation of a lot of unneeded angst when spending a moment or two of thought would be more advantageous. And contrary to what some of you think, there is a large portion of the people posting on this forum that need to not panic when an update has a problem. I use straight sid with towo's latest kernels on a 32 and 64 systems on the same computer. How you screw up your siduction installs is of no concern to me whatsoever. I am one with the Debian servers. We understand each other therefore I have no problems. I have much better things to do than sit in front of a computer 24/7 trying to figure out what the problem is. Since my philosophy of a smooth and no problem maintenance of a system seems to conflict with most of you, I will not bother to post again. I spend only a few minutes a day to keep my sid updated and 100% usable. How about you?

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/10/27, 21:41:02 »
Where's the bad attitude ?

You made a post, got some opinions and criticism that You don't like and now "we" or "me" have a bad attitude, wtf ?

Now, your going to love me

Smile, and don't forget to have a nice day !

lol

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: 2014/10/27, 23:56:27 »
Nope, no bad attitude here, either.  I merely wanted to make the point that when a really unusual phenomenon, such as an apparent hang in a d-u that lasts 10 minutes is observed, this is exactly where that concern should be posted -- it is expected.  It did indeed look like a "hang", but it turned out (for the very, very patient user) to be a really protracted package upgrade.  Here, we encourage posting such concerns -- unlike certain other forums.   ;)

I'm smiling, but not as pretty as piper.   ;D
« Last Edit: 2014/10/28, 01:31:02 by dibl »

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2014/10/28, 01:04:37 »
... I spend only a few minutes a day to keep my sid updated and 100% usable. How about you?
This is how many people using sid(uction) do it.

But I wonder: You never stumbled over a broken package in sid? You always knew how to avoid new but buggy packages?

You are right, there is no reason to panic as far as it concerns sid. And if you're capable to manage all your computers by yourself, that's fine. Others need a little help now and then, either because they where among the first people to be hit by a problem, or they are in too big a hurry and do not read ...

But I really wonder how you never had time consuming problems with sid dist-upgrades?
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake