Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Looking for a Linux dist that update itself.  (Read 7028 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Looking for a Linux dist that update itself.
« on: 2014/12/07, 01:38:17 »
I have managed three computers for others that are not at all interested in computers,  a lot of years now, one is my mother.  I had sidux, apotisid and now siduction on them but that's enough now. It's looking like sid has more problems updating seldom than before, It's not possible for me to update their computers more than a few times a year now, and for other reasons it's not possible to do it remotely.

So what dist shall I put on this machines? They are quite old, a Thinkpad T60 and similar. Shall I use Debian stable? Mint is quite good but it's based on ubuntu, I don't like that really. The rolling or semi-rolling mint based on Debian is to difficult for them. Something that only works and have some sort of automatic updating so the users don't have do do anything more than maybe say yes to an update. Any suggestions?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Looking for a Linux dist that update itself.
« Reply #1 on: 2014/12/07, 04:02:44 »
PC Linux OS may be a good choice - rolling with not so much changes as in sid. Or CentOS - which is supported for a few years.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/12/07, 15:47:50 »
From your requirements and if you want to stay (are used to) a debianoid system I would think about Linux Mint Debian Edition. I have not tested it myself, but it is said:
"LMDE has a semi-rolling release development model. Debian Testing is a "real" rolling release that constantly receives updates; LMDE periodically introduces “Update Packs” which are tested snapshots of Debian Testing."
So you could probably have the systems staying on the status of one "update pack", and when you have time twice a year or so you refresh them with the latest tested update pack.
Release Notes: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2577

A similar approach with I think ~monthly or quarterly update packs has SolydXK, also debian based with Xfce and KDE flavors.
« Last Edit: 2014/12/07, 15:51:32 by der_bud »
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/12/07, 16:17:00 »
Yes, it would be good to have a Debian base, and it's also good to have xfce as the users are used to that.  I checked PC Linux OS but it looks to much different, and CentOs latest is only 64 bit, that will not work.

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/12/07, 17:33:33 »
I wish I could recommend Crunchbang, but I cannot at this time.  Linux Mint Debian or possibly Solydx

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #5 on: 2014/12/07, 19:12:00 »
How about Robolinux? It is availabe as 32bit and with Xfce and is based on Debian Stable.
http://www.robolinux.org/
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=48fbb2e4a50ee4e5d062ad6f9bb59f260565b431
Susan | Hardware: SysProfile
Music-Profile: http://www.last.fm/de/user/spacepengu

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #6 on: 2014/12/07, 22:13:32 »
Hello vilde,

yes, it is a lot of work to follow a rolling release. That is the price of freedom.

But if you choose a distro with longterm support (LTS) then you are limited to the few applications that are included in the support.

So both ways have pros and cons.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/12/08, 00:17:33 »
The users for the three computers are only using them for some internet browsing, as a movieplayer from disc or internet, paying bills and so on, nothing special and nothing advanced. They will do good with some basic applications. But I want them to have a secure (as possible) environment.

Today I checked solydx, mint-debian I have tried before. Soludx is not very beautiful but could probably work. Probably they will be slower than siduction on their computers, but that's no big deal as long that it works. I have some time left to decide.

And thanks for your ideas so far.

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #8 on: 2014/12/08, 00:23:31 »
Soludx is not very beautiful but could probably work.
You know that you don't depend on the default look - the look is as beautiful as you make it.
Susan | Hardware: SysProfile
Music-Profile: http://www.last.fm/de/user/spacepengu

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/12/08, 00:56:58 »
Soludx is not very beautiful but could probably work.
You know that you don't depend on the default look - the look is as beautiful as you make it.
Yes, no problem, I have my wife on my wallpaper, that's making every computer looking very nice :), I don't care much about themes and artwork, others do, that's ok.

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2014/12/09, 10:01:02 »
A year ago I set up a low performance ASUS netbook with LTS Lubuntu (13.10-desktop-i386) for my over 80 years old uncle.
Long term support, automatic updates, remote maintenance by me (Teamviewer) about all three, four months, nice GUI, runs without a hitch.
Greetings
Tom

belze

« Reply #11 on: 2014/12/13, 12:58:40 »
Solydx(k) is going to change as soon as debian jessie is released. They have not enough man power to support a debian testing based distro and so they will be tracking debian stable fron the next release on (if i have understood correctly, they will use debian stable repos!). Just to keep you updated.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/12/14, 11:25:29 »
Yes, one parameter to consider when choosing a dist for long time use is if the dist is going to stay for a while. I understand that there are a lot of dists that are a one or very few mans work, and they are there as long as it's fun and interesting or until something else comes in to their lives that are more important.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #13 on: 2014/12/14, 13:52:02 »
That might sometimes be true, but on the other hand, the oldest distro in existence, Slackware  (since 1993) is a one-man-show.

greetz
devil

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2014/12/14, 15:27:11 »
That might sometimes be true, but on the other hand, the oldest distro in existence, Slackware  (since 1993) is a one-man-show.

greetz
devil
I didn't know but that's a impressing :)