Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] DVD authoring package, other than devede?  (Read 3984 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] DVD authoring package, other than devede?
« on: 2014/11/08, 20:26:01 »
Three or four years ago, I used avidemux and devede to convert old VHS tapes and prepare iso images for DVDs.  devede worked really well.  Today I have one video file prepared with avidemux, ready to make a DVD image, but when I went to install devede, I found that its dependency on libavcodec-extra-56 is going to rip out most of KDE.   >:(

Has anyone recently used a DVD authoring package on a KDE system?  Thanks in advance!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: DVD authoring package, other than devede?
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/08, 20:53:35 »
You could use devede from deb-mulrimedia, this is installable.
For me i found no better dvd authoring software, all i found wasn't a alternative for devede real.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/08, 21:07:58 »
 :-[   I forgot I had the dmo repo commented out.    :-[

Thanks towo' !

EDIT:  KDE users must not use QtCurve or Oxygen GTK themes -- the Devede folder chooser will segfault.
« Last Edit: 2014/11/08, 23:12:18 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline pjnsmb

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/11/09, 07:14:10 »
Have a look at

https://github.com/rastersoft/devedeng

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/devede-forum

I have been using devedeng since the fiirst alpha came out
regards
pjnsmb

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/11/09, 10:24:31 »
I use dvdstyler for creating video-dvds and store them as iso-images.
It is also comming from the dmo repo.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2014/11/09, 19:38:13 »
Thank you guys.  Devede from dmo is indeed installable as towo' says, and still works as well as I remembered, once you change your GTK2 theme to something other than oxygen-gtk or qtcurve.

I installed dvdstyler, and it seems pretty easy to use, but for some reason related to my filesystem sizes or my selected tmp directory, it failed after using most of my 8GB of memory and half of my 16GB swap.  So I don't know exactly what is wrong with my configuration for that.

I looked at the information about devedeng.  Being python-based, I would expect it to work, but I'll wait for a debian package before I play with it.

Thanks again for the replies.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2014/11/09, 21:40:19 »
once you change your GTK2 theme to something other than oxygen-gtk or qtcurve.

Thats the reason for not providing nor recommend both themes anymore - debugging both is fun and leads to nothing. :)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: 2014/11/09, 21:47:58 »
Thats the reason for not providing nor recommend both themes anymore - debugging both is fun and leads to nothing. :)

Right.  My main productivity desktop started life as aptosid imera in 2010, and has become quite crufty over these years.  I would wipe the SSD and install a new OS (siduction), except I dread spending the next 6 weeks getting it back to a comfortable configuration.  So I just go along with it ....

;D