Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] good news: ubuntu goes systemd  (Read 2960 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
[EN] good news: ubuntu goes systemd
« on: 2014/02/14, 19:32:13 »
de:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Upstart-ade-Linux-Distribution-Ubuntu-wechselt-auf-Systemd-2114268.html

en (Shuttleworth comment only):
Losing graciously
... Nevertheless, the decision is for systemd, and given that Ubuntu is quite centrally a member of the Debian family, that’s a decision we support
Wow!

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
« Last Edit: 2014/02/14, 19:54:37 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
Re: good news: ubuntu goes systemd
« Reply #1 on: 2014/02/14, 20:34:56 »
I think he made the right decision.  Although I thought they were more committed to Upstart.  Lennert must be doing the Snoopy dance.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/02/14, 23:02:05 »
Sure he is, all important distros unified under systemd. Frightning for a lot of people...
When it comes to Marks move: what else could he do after trying to turn over the ballot and get rid of Bdale as head of the committee? If Ipstart would have won, Debian would have been upstream for it and Mark wins. With Upstart loosing, hanging on to it would cost developer time and hence money. Plus the trouble with logind with systemd >204. So, he did not really have much of a choice. For me this announcement is highly hypocritical.

greetz
devil

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/02/14, 23:15:46 »
...For me this announcement is highly hypocritical.

Yeahhhh, but all in all it's good news, isn't it?

And I'm still not really happy with systemd. I can't evaluate it on a technical level (due to missing skills). But what I read regarding it's invasiveness and it being somewhat abandoning common UNIX philosophy I still hope Openrc will mature, replace sysvinit and become a second (and fallback) init system ... after all something is need for no linux anyway
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake