Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  I somehow blew up my sound. Only card is pulse audio sound server.  (Read 3908 times)

LRC1962

Started out with updating pulseeffects and Pulseaudio then no longer saved the configuration of both analog and HDMI5.1 . Looking into Kmix and HDMI was greyed out. Thinking pulse was the issue I purged and reinstalled I then ended up with only pulse audio sound server card showing. I have no alsa.conf file that I can find.This is the info that is usually asked for:
Code: [Select]
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
--- no soundcards ---
$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
$ pacmd list-cards
0 card(s) available.
$ pacmd list-sinks
1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 0
        name: <auto_null>
        driver: <module-null-sink.c>
        flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
        state: SUSPENDED
        suspend cause: IDLE
        priority: 1000
        volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
                balance 0.00
        base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
        volume steps: 65537
        muted: no
        current latency: 0.00 ms
        max request: 344 KiB
        max rewind: 344 KiB
        monitor source: 0
        sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
        channel map: front-left,front-right
                     Stereo
        used by: 0
        linked by: 0
        configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 2000.00 ms
        module: 11
        properties:
                device.description = "Dummy Output"
                device.class = "abstract"
                device.icon_name = "audio-card"
$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_seq                65536  0
snd_seq_device         16384  1 snd_seq
snd_soc_hdac_hdmi      28672  0
snd_soc_dmic           16384  0
snd_soc_skl_ssp_clk    16384  0
snd_soc_skl            94208  1 snd_soc_skl_ssp_clk
snd_soc_skl_ipc        53248  1 snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_sst_ipc        16384  1 snd_soc_skl_ipc
snd_soc_sst_dsp        16384  1 snd_soc_skl_ipc
snd_hda_ext_core       24576  2 snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_acpi_intel_match    28672  1 snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_acpi           16384  2 snd_soc_acpi_intel_match,snd_soc_skl
snd_hda_core           65536  3 snd_hda_ext_core,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_core          196608  3 snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_skl,snd_soc_dmic
snd_compress           20480  1 snd_soc_core
ac97_bus               16384  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine      16384  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                98304  6 snd_hda_ext_core,snd_soc_hdac_hdmi,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_skl,snd_hda_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_timer              32768  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    81920  6 snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd
I also am including alsa-info.txt.As far as I can see I am missing either a conf file or there is a conflict that is breaking things, because every app as far as alsa is concerned is loaded.Could going to an older kernal, delete new kernal then using smxi to install the new kernal be of help? or could it be a case of two different drivers messibng things up. I just got a new laptop, And I know you should not really do it, but I just moved the HDD from the old laptop to the new one.
« Last Edit: 2019/06/10, 03:58:37 by LRC1962 »

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
smxi.org is still based on the surface of a BBS, which I have always liked. ;-)

smxi has been frowned upon since sidux times (a reputation's hard to get rid of). But I used it back then as well (in sidux Γαῖα). You might break more with it.

You can move a system if you pay attention to some things (e.g. uninstalling certain proprietary drivers beforehand). Whether it is advisable is another question.

Did you want to transfer the system to the new notebook or did you do it because you have these problems?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
It would be interesting to try a recent siduction live ISO, to see how it handles that sound card.  If it loads a driver and works, then you will have an idea how to approach fixing the installed system.  Or maybe you'll decide just to install a new system from the ISO.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
@axt - we strongly advise against the use of smxi - the only difference to sidux or aptosid.com is that we will not ban someone just for mention it, we just don't recommend nor support it no way.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
Quote from: melmarker
we strongly advise against the use of smxi

Did I say anything to contradict that?

Offline sunrat

• User
pulseeffects also is not from Debian. I installed it from a PPA ages ago but it crashed occasionally so forgot about it. However I recently realised upgrades had replaced all PulseAudio packages with ones from the PPA! It actually works better now, no crashes, but obviously is now a Frankendebian which can't properly be supported. This info may or may not be pertinent to your issue.

This is on a siduction system installed over 2 years ago and regularly upgraded.

LRC1962

Sorry about not getting back. Believe it was an issue of conflicting drivers which was causing other issues.
I moved a HDD from an AMD laptop to an intel laptop. Tried to do a fresh install and ran into all kinds of problems there. Another post.