Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 81869 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
I finally got vlc and libtag1v5-vanilla installed -- watched dolphin, plasma-desktop, and kde-standard get ripped out but then they reinstalled perfectly.

Does anyone else see an excessive use of CPU resources by kwin-x11?  Here it is a continuous 11% - 15% of CPU.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
htop gives me

1.6 for mem%
0.0 for cpu%
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Hmmmmm.  Reinstalled an hp printer and some other configuration stuff, rebooted, and the kwin-x11 issue is gone.  I guess I'll take it for now and watch it.  Thanks piper.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline clubex

• User
Took the plunge and did the du yesterday. Everything seems OK on my KDE system; although I haven't tested much beyond normal eveyday usage. All I lost was Gimp which couldn't be re-installed due to dependancy errors.

I don't think it's a procedure for those of a nervous disposition. I had to do several dist-upgrades including some -f installs. I also had to re-install dolphin, plasma-desktop and kde-standard. But still there were many packages not upgraded.

The problem turned out to be kwin reacting with kwin-x11 (don't know how they both got installed). Once kwin was removed the remainer of packages upgraded easily with merely kactivities and four or five other packages held back. Trying to install kactivities wants to remove many, many packages.

ps. I've got it sIightly wrong. I now remember that it was only kwin that was installed and that was causing the du not to upgrade all the packages. Once Kwin was removed and kwin-x11 installed the full upgrade completed..
« Last Edit: 2015/09/09, 12:07:57 by clubex »

Offline drb

• User
I've not attempted to d-u since 31 July and, with a kde system, currently have 89 packages to remove. Would an install of kwin-x11 safely allow me to have a clearer view of what is still uninstallable with a d-u, so I will know when it's Ok to take a risk?

apt-get install kwin-x11 kwin-common kwin-data -d gives me :

Code: [Select]
  The following extra packages will be installed:
  breeze breeze-cursor-theme breeze-icon-theme kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard kde-style-breeze kde-style-breeze-qt4 kwin-style-breeze libkdecorations2-5v5 libkdecorations2private5v5
  libkf5waylandclient5 libkf5waylandserver5 libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects6 libkwinglutils6 qml-module-qtquick-controls-styles-breeze
Suggested packages:
  orion-gtk-theme kde-l10n kwin-addons
Recommended packages:
  kde-style-qtcurve sddm
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kwin libkdecorations2-5 libkdecorations2private5
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kwin-common kwin-x11 libkdecorations2-5v5 libkdecorations2private5v5
The following packages will be upgraded:
  breeze breeze-cursor-theme breeze-icon-theme kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard kde-style-breeze kde-style-breeze-qt4 kwin-data kwin-style-breeze libkf5waylandclient5 libkf5waylandserver5
  libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects6 libkwinglutils6 qml-module-qtquick-controls-styles-breeze
15 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1009 not upgraded.
Need to get 41.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 17.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Like Clubex said, not for the faint at heart, but nothing to fear either, if using common sense. From the facts you post, things look ok.

greetz
devil

Offline drb

• User
I had to remove kwin manually first, but otherwise still OK. Still 89 packages to remove though so not a lot further forward.

mylo

Hi all,

regards from Crete, where temperature rises down to 28 C from 35+ C. Sorry for letting out the degree character, but silly Apple Keyboardtech from the 90's does not offer keyboardwise or is hidden for users.

My question as a normal user of siduction on this transition is:
Shall we wait or prepare for a full reinstsllation/setup?

All meanings/recommendations welcome.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Just sit tight.

greetz
devil

mylo

That is easy to do, thanks!

Offline samoht

• User
@mylo

Why is Apple® keyboard tech silly and not maybe the person in charge of the keyboard?
Apple bashing does not make any sense in this forum.
Greetings
Tom

mylo

Hi Samoth,
You are right, but i also...will change Forum for that.

mylo

Sorry samoht! Apple changed your name...

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Careful with KDE upgrades today. plasma-widgets-workspace is being removed on some systems and I am sure you want to keep that.

greetz
devil

Offline vilde

• User
Today some packages are gone without new ones installed:
Code: [Select]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  coinor-libcbc3 coinor-libcoinmp1 coinor-libcoinutils3 coinor-libosi1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  coinor-libcoinutils3v5 coinor-libosi1v5 liblz4-1
Shall they be gone or shall I wait?