Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 80101 times)

Offline vilde

• User
gparted has included much c++ related gui things. Try gdisk which extends the old bios related fdisk.
Do you say that I shall let gparted go?

For now, I will wait and see if gparted will be fixed.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
gparted should be fine again
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline ralul

• User
Debian sid get pullable again: I just could install kaffeine again and running it
 in my new Gnome-3.16 environment. (first Gnome-3 bug free for me)

I had purged all of Kde in the last weeks to get free of conflicts.
Now dolphin also seems to be installable also. Though I must say
I had to purge a lot of libs which have replacements containing 'v5'
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

holgerw

Debian sid get pullable again: I just could install kaffeine again and running it
 in my new Gnome-3.16 environment. (first Gnome-3 bug free for me)

I had purged all of Kde in the last weeks to get free of conflicts.
Now dolphin also seems to be installable also. Though I must say
I had to purge a lot of libs which have replacements containing 'v5'

Hi Ralph,

yesterday evening I try a D-U after replace snapshot-repo with normal debian unstable repo. But a lot of KF5 stuff should be removed, also dolphin. And some stuff, from which dolphin depends, was not installable because of broken dependencies, with enabled kdenext ca. 40 packages should be removed, without kdenext over 60 packages.

Or should I remove KDE completely and try a reinstallation?

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline vilde

• User
gparted should be fine again
Yes, now it's only testdisk that will be removed, I let that go, it's not the first time testdisk is gone away. d-u went well and gparted upgraded.

Offline der_bud

• User
... I had purged all of Kde in the last weeks to get free of conflicts. Now dolphin also seems to be installable also. ...

... a lot of KF5 stuff should be removed, also dolphin. And some stuff, from which dolphin depends, was not installable because of broken dependencies, with enabled kdenext ca. 40 packages should be removed, without kdenext over 60 packages ...

Please regard and be warned that it depends on your personal package collection, architecture (i386/amd64) and sources (+/- kdenext) if you get a working KDE system or not. On several irc channels some people report success, some breakage, and it changes every six hours with new mirror syncs. I tried updating kdenext in a VM yesterday and still confirm holgerw's observation of several broken dependencies. So no general 'all-clear' from my side...
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline ralul

• User
Just claiming: I do have a fresh installed kaffeine in a Gnome environment.
Not more ....
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline drb

• User
[SOLVED]
I've now exceeded my konsole scrollback buffer so I can't see the whole list of what would be removed. Is there another way of viewing packages to be in stalled / removed or a way of increasing the text buffer size? (Currently 70 to remove).

PS [EDIT] solved by editing scrolling tab in profile edit
« Last Edit: 2015/09/04, 10:22:14 by drb »

Offline paxmark2

• User
drb  for me when I run "apt-get -s upgrade | less" works but of course that might not be inter-reactive and is not permanent. 

Sitting on 345 to upgrade, I can wait. 

Offline harley-peter

• User
Hello,

I made a du today on my system with Xfce desktop at my old Toshiba notebook without problems. I tested the major programs (iceweasel, icedove, libreoffice, gimp, gthumb, xsane, networkmanager, gparted ...) and all work fine.

« Last Edit: 2015/09/04, 19:03:13 by harley-peter »

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye

I have an old Dell laptop that I sometimes use for experiments. It has not been updated for months. Today I got curious about the state of sid and KDE/Plasma 5, so here is what I did (if I am remembering everything):

Code: [Select]
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get -f install
apt-get -f install
apt-get -f install
apt-get install libreoffice
apt-get install dolphin
apt-get install plasma-desktop
apt-get install kde-standard
apt-get install kwin-x11
apt-get clean
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get -f install
systemctl reboot

There were many scary removals and errors along the way, but apt-get -f install always got past the error.

I was amazed that it came up perfectly to a Plasma 5 desktop.  My early investigation indicates that it is working as expected.  Still no "kdesu" but "gksu" works anyway.

Here is the system:

System:    Host: e6500 Kernel: 4.1.6-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.2.1)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5 (Qt 5.4.2) Distro: siduction 13.2.1 December - kde - (201401272125)
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude E6500 serial: 7XFD1J1
           Mobo: Dell model: 0PP476 serial: .7XFD1J1.CN129619122714. Bios: Dell v: A14 date: 07/31/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P8600 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9581
           clock speeds: max: 2401 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G98M [Quadro NVS 160M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.17.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 121x60 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: efe0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:21:70:d4:d3:04
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (40.0% used) ID-1: model: OCZ_VERTEX
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 1356.3/3946.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.2.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.26

FYI.  Don't try it if you can't stand a risk.  I'm still wondering whether to try it on my desktop system.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline CCarpenter

• User
    • http://www.greenvalleyranchschwand.de
Do you have multiarch installed?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Yes.

root@e650031m:/# dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
i386

Working further with it, I am seeing occasional flakiness in the GUI display.  Not sure whether it is about nouveau or kwin-x11 -- I guess I will have to do the experiment on another hardware platform to sort that out.

Also, the d-u was done with the dmo repo disabled.

Edit:  I have no idea where the "31m" came from, on root's address.  The hostname still reports it as "e6500", and a user prompt is "@e6500".  Looks like an error in root's bashrc.
« Last Edit: 2015/09/05, 17:00:24 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline vayu

• User

1111 upgraded, 102 newly installed, 117 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,307 MB of archives.
After this operation, 48.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

My system is still a ways off from being able to du.  Is it safe to manually upgrade packages that are reported as upgradable, for example claws mail or google chrome?  What about kernel upgrade?

Offline vilde

• User
I don't think there will be a point where no packages are to be removed, a lot of packages will be removed and replaced with new ones.

Maybe somebody who knows better can tell me the difference between when apt remove packages and replace them with new vs just upgrade a package?