Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Top five wrong ways to fix your audio  (Read 4593 times)

hefee

[EN] Top five wrong ways to fix your audio
« on: 2012/07/14, 12:33:14 »
A very interesting article about wrong ways to fix your audio setup:
http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2012/07/13/top-five-wrong-ways-to-fix-your-audio/

I'm now no member of the audio group anymore :)

Offline ralul

• User
Top five wrong ways to fix your audio
« Reply #1 on: 2012/07/14, 13:41:38 »
Thats an ubuntu maintainer trying to get grounds where he can fix audio bugs in his distribution. If every user tries his own workarounds he cannot find the real bugs to fix.

@hefee would you elaborate what you find there to be of priority for us using Debian?

It is truly self explaining, if you are in audio group and use it, there may be difficulties running a parallel user. But maybe only if using a private session (not system) pulseaudio.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Top five wrong ways to fix your audio
« Reply #2 on: 2012/07/14, 15:24:25 »
The wrongest thing to do is to swap alsa for pulseaudio to try and fix your sound issues. Maybe that changes some day...

greetz
devil

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: Top five wrong ways to fix your audio
« Reply #3 on: 2012/07/15, 15:27:25 »
Quote from: "devil"
The wrongest thing to do is to swap alsa for pulseaudio to try and fix your sound issues. Maybe that changes some day...

greetz
devil

That's the most common issue as well as people forgetting to unmute the master channels in alsamixer

As there's been updates to PA in recent months there still are issues with it though

Offline brummer

• User
    • http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/
RE: Re: Top five wrong ways to fix your audio
« Reply #4 on: 2012/07/15, 16:19:06 »
Funny, at first I'm a jack (rt) user, so the first "wrong way" is mine.  :lol:
And indeed I purge pulse audio, because it hide my sound-cart settings behind the odd pulse control.

Last weak I'm forced to install ubuntu on my box, for some test. First, the installation takes about 2 hours, then, after I have run update-grub in siduction, and boot it the first time, I was presented with the Unity desktop. At the time I try to figure out how it works, the update manager tells me that there are 250 packages to upgrade, well, that takes again 1 hour. After that I installed Lxde, add some audio apps as well as my development environment and add myself to the audio group and set up rt-priory for me.
When I first try to start jack I get aware of the pulse audio driver, settings in jack wouldn't work, alsamixer wouldn't work, I delete pulse. It takes again 2 hours before I have set-up the system the way I like/need it then I run my test-case, witch takes 20 min, and be done.

So it seems I need all wrong when I use ubuntu  :)
as more I'm happy when I reboot to my siduction box. :twisted:

Online dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2012/07/15, 21:34:12 »
Quote from: "devil"

In the past 12 months I have had no serious problems with pulseaudio, using skype with a USB webcam for the mic, and analog speakers, also numerous music players and audacity all work fine with pulseaudio.  Once in awhile it seems to spontaneously re-enable the muted analog mic input, and I have to mute it again.  But that's a minor bug, for sure.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline brummer

• User
    • http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/
« Reply #6 on: 2012/07/16, 07:43:59 »
Quote from: "dibl"

In the past 12 months I have had no serious problems with pulseaudio, using skype with a USB webcam for the mic, and analog speakers, also numerous music players and audacity all work fine with pulseaudio.  Once in awhile it seems to spontaneously re-enable the muted analog mic input, and I have to mute it again.  But that's a minor bug, for sure.

My sound-cart comes with a in-build hardware mixer, so I never have problems when multiple apps try to use it. Therefore I have no need in pulse-audio.