Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] I brought a dead T60 back to live  (Read 2795 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] I brought a dead T60 back to live
« on: 2015/06/06, 00:12:29 »
I'm moving to another house, switched of my always running old IBM T60, in my new home I should start it and it was completely dead, nothing at all happen when I pressed the start button. Shit, my first broken Thinkpad I thought but I did a search on internet and found  Mike Masnick's Blog from 2007
.......So I called up IBM support and explained the situation.  The guy on the other end then let me in on the secret power button code to revive your dead Thinkpad.  After assessing the situation (totally dead laptop) he warned me: “Okay, this is going to sound totally bizarre, but I want you to give this a try…”  He then had me unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery.  Then, you push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals.  Next, you push and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Then you put the battery back in and push the power button… and she lives.  The computer came back, good as ever.

I asked the guy what the power button pushing incantation did and he said “static discharge” so apparently there was some sort of static that caused a short or something.  I tried to get the guy to explain in more detail what happened, but he said “dude, you know as much as I do… but your machine is working.”
And so it is................................

I did exactly as it was written and yes, the T60 started :)

« Last Edit: 2015/06/06, 21:28:43 by vilde »

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: I brought a dead T60 back to live
« Reply #1 on: 2015/06/06, 10:58:04 »
Once I had to revive an old T42 that way, and found the solution you posted in the german Thinkpad Wiki and the german forum.
 According to them it is a known error diagnostics procedure when the capacitors have somehow 'wrong charge'. That can happen sometimes, for example when removing the battery in just the wrong moment.
(Glad to hear you revived your babe, though,I too have a T60 and T61 running as main machines).
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.