Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Printer/scanner that works with linux  (Read 2902 times)

Offline titan

• User
[EN] Printer/scanner that works with linux
« on: 2023/02/24, 10:27:00 »
I have been using a HP M1132 MFP for some years I don't use the printer much but do use the scanner however various upgrades break HPLIP and require the proprietary plugin install each time. The latest seems to be due to Python.

So any recommendations for a print/scanner that works with Linux and doesn't require require any proprietary plugins to work. I have Googled but there doesn't seem to be any machine that stands out

Offline eriefisher

• User
Re: Printer/scanner that works with linux
« Reply #1 on: 2023/02/24, 11:48:33 »
I have a Cannon MG2900 and an Epson XP4100. Both were pretty much plug and play as I remember. The cannon is quite old now and the Epson maybe 6-7 years old. I don't remember having any issue getting them up and running on the network. Printing or scanning. HP's are usually the ones that never give issue although their utility software gave me greif off and on for a long time.

Offline edlin

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/02/24, 12:11:04 »
Since @titan probably prints little, I think an MFP with a black and white laser printer is the more suitable solution. And a recommendation should also still be available on the market, because a successor model is no guarantee for trouble-free operation under Linux.
Unfortunately I can't recommend a device, because I generally don't like combination devices.

edlin

Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline fams

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/02/24, 14:26:26 »
Just a wild guess as I'm not familiar with HPLIP:
try the snap: https://www.openprinting.org/driver/hplip
I know, nowbody loves snap, but it should be packaged with the right dependencies.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/02/24, 16:01:55 »
Brother usually provided usefull drivers for their Printers and MFCs.
Still using an MFC-5890CN.

Regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline edlin

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/02/24, 16:20:42 »
And another ink pisser .... That's where @titan has to decide for himself if he likes it.
I myself have had bad experiences with Brother, though with a label printer with the Linux support.

edlin
Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: 2023/02/24, 22:45:13 »
I'm still using an old HP P1606dn, but a friend who runs Ubuntu has two Brother MFC units that have been trouble free.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline gorzka

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2023/02/25, 18:40:39 »
SAMSUNG Xpress M2675FN

Linux drivers are available. works for me with no problems
Auf dem Baum da saß ein Specht
der Baum war hoch, dem Specht war schlecht

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2023/02/26, 13:34:59 »
After hours of reading about Linux and printers I bought a Brother MFC L2710 DW, just got it home put the toner and paper in switched on and it just works both printing, scanning and copying, haven't tried the wifi, Lan or wifi-direct yet.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2023/02/26, 22:16:35 »
Just a side note. I was recently staying with my daughter and after a few minutes of firing up my laptop I got a notification that an HP printer was added. Automagically. I don't know the model of hand but I do know she bought it within the last year or so. I wasn't aware that this was even possible.

Offline dsat

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2023/02/27, 12:13:38 »
Recently I bought a Brother MFC-J6955DW. That one works ootb with debian sid as well as with manjaro. No driver installation at all. JM2C