Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  new flashplugin, some facts  (Read 1790 times)

Online michaa7

• User
new flashplugin, some facts
« on: 2014/03/11, 12:50:47 »
Those using absolut's or my update-script today will notice
- there is a new flashplayer version available
- it does not get installed
- investigating you will notice this error:
downloading http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp.11.2.202.346.sha512.i386.pgp.asc ...
... 404 Not Found

I recently had an email conversation with the maintainer about some "how and why". And the result was the information that his *.asc file proves that:
- we are downloading the same file the maintainer did *and*
- he had verified the compatibility of this file with Debian.

He tracks new versions, but this will not happen the very day a new version comes up.

I assume he is doing it unpaid in his sparetime, so we need to accept some days waiting.

In view of these facts, our scripts are a bit counterproductive as they alert people who then notice there is no new version installable via "update-flashplugin-nonfree -iv". This will happen unavoidably with each new version (as long as no one modifies flashplugin-nonfree to install new versions without the safeguard of the maintainers testing and verification proven by his asc file). Which then leads to questions and complaints here in the forum. That was the situation which motivated me to get in contact with the maintainer:

Solution:

(1) wait some days until the maintainer found time to take action (possibly, now with this information without complaints)

(2) d/l the respective *tar.gz directly from Adobe, install it, and hope for the best.

« Last Edit: 2014/03/13, 01:39:52 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline seasons

• User
Re: new flashplugin, some facts
« Reply #1 on: 2014/03/11, 20:45:39 »
Thanks for doing the legwork. I think I am going to switch to managing it myself.