Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Gnome Key Ring  (Read 8622 times)

Offline terroreek

• User
Gnome Key Ring
« on: 2014/03/04, 23:15:32 »
Hi All,

I am not 100% sure if this is done by design or if its a bug, but the package libpam-gnome-keyring is not installed on 13.2 and I am guessing 13.1 as that's where I did the original install but that package is needed so gnome-keyring is unlocked by lightdm and or gdm at login.  I am not sure if the the xfce desktop environment of siduction uses gnome-keyring but if it does that that package also needs to be installed in order to auto unlock the gnome-keyring at login. 

I needed to install this package to get gnome-keyring to unlock properly.

timc

Re: Gnome Key Ring
« Reply #1 on: 2014/03/04, 23:43:42 »
I don't claim to understand all this, but I basically agree with terroreek. I also had to install libpam-gnome-keyring to get some things working correctly, and I use Slim and LXDE.

Tim

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/03/05, 00:26:42 »
I don't claim to understand all this, but I basically agree with terroreek. I also had to install libpam-gnome-keyring to get some things working correctly, and I use Slim and LXDE.

Tim

Well LXDE I know was GTK based but it's being ported to QT and merging with Razor.  However, I am not sure what the status of that port and merger is but I believe if it's gtk based it could use gnome-keyring.  I believe XFCE uses gnome-keyring, libpam-gnome-keyring is a recommends for the gnome-keyring package.

Also I think the issues with gnome-online accounts freezing was a result of the keyring not unlocking properly.

That being said again I am not sure if this was not installed because of security or 'bloat' but I think it should be installed if gnome-keyring is installed as well. 

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/03/06, 15:55:33 »
Sorry should I be submitting this as a bug??

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #4 on: 2014/03/12, 13:04:02 »
hello terroreek,

we will add the package to future releases.

To avoid unneeded packages siduction doesn't install recommends and suggests by default. This reduces the size of the iso image and warrants a lean and snappy system. But sometimes we reduce too much and get beaten by lack of function.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/03/12, 15:22:15 »
No worries, I understand, and Siduction is a very quick and snappy release.  Anyone else using gnome, if you install the missing package you may find network-manager, gnome-online accounts isn't so buggy. 

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/03/13, 08:34:59 »
Hi,
I have added libpam-gnome-keyring in package list for next release.
Thank you for reporting this.