Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Change in Debian sources.list /  (Read 4800 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] Change in Debian sources.list /
« on: 2023/01/31, 13:09:43 »
Not long ago, Debian has decided to change its policy regarding non-free firmware. I have blogged about this on LinuxNews (you might need to translate it to DE). Without Debian clearly announcing this, users of sid and testing need to apply a change to their Debian sources.list to be able to obtain firmware-updates in the future. 

No matter if you have non-free and /or contrib in your sources already, please add
Code: [Select]
non-free-firmware
to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list as in 
Code: [Select]
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
Then update and dist-upgrade and you might already have some firmware coming in.

Offline eriefisher

• User
Re: Change in Debian sources.list /
« Reply #1 on: 2023/02/01, 13:16:04 »
Thanks devil. It appears there is lots of firmware to be had.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/02/01, 14:52:34 »
Interesting, after adding the non-free-firmware, update/dist-upgrade and a reboot I noticed the light on my mute key(FN-F6) light up for the first time during startup. The key has always worked on this 2014 era HP laptop but not the light. Now when I mute the sound the key is lit. Just goes to show you that all this stuff is continually being improved and well worth having the latest firmware/software.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/02/03, 12:25:29 »
There are fresh images on https://testbuilds.siduction.org/, that already incorporate the changes.

Offline gazemarten

• penalty kick online
« Reply #4 on: 2023/07/03, 04:17:06 »
Interesting, after adding the non-free-firmware, update/dist-upgrade and a reboot I noticed the light on my mute key(FN-F6) light up for the first time during startup. The key has always worked on this 2014 era HP laptop but not the light. Now when I mute the sound the key is lit. Just goes to show you that all this stuff is continually being improved and well worth having the latest firmware/software.
I am also looking for the latest updated version of this feature.

Offline RunLevelZero

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/09/14, 20:44:20 »
Thank you sir. I was missing non-free. I think I made my non-free non-free-firmware mistakenly removing my non-free a while back so appreciate this as I had to double check myself and good thing I did.