Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] dist-upgrade from #! or semplice?  (Read 10921 times)

hinto

[EN] dist-upgrade from #! or semplice?
« on: 2012/01/02, 15:23:38 »
Hi guys,
I started with #!, then changed sources.list to point to sid.
Then, I changed sources.list to point to semplice (a dist-upgrade to semplice instead of a re-install).

So now, the question is, how do I dist-upgrade to siduction?  Or should I just bite the bullet and re-image?

Thanks for any info.

-Hinto

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
dist-upgrade from #! or semplice?
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/02, 15:46:30 »
With that history, to be able to be supportable by us, only a fresh install will do.

greetz
devil

Offline michaaa62

• User
dist-upgrade from #! or semplice?
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/02, 15:54:09 »
You could copy your stuff from /home, /etc, /root and may be /usr/local to some external storage to get essential parts faster back.
You could also create a list of your installed software for quick installation in the new and shiny siduction. The wiki article on that is just in German up to now... http://wiki.siduction.de/index.php?title=/home_sichern May translate.google be helpful!

hinto

RE: dist-upgrade from #! or semplice?
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/02, 15:54:25 »
That's what I figured.  And here I am thinking that women are the only ones with baggage ;)

Thanks for the info.
-Hinto

hinto

« Reply #4 on: 2012/01/02, 15:55:46 »
BTW... I did learn something from the past...
I have /, swap, and /home partitions.  Re-install isn't really a problem... Just wondering how close to the edge I was.
-H

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/02, 15:58:01 »
so you are trying to do a "crossgrade" and while that could work its just not supportable considering that some subtle bugs could creep in. For starters you might have to remove the #! and/or semplice specific packages first

Like Devil said a clean install of siduction is the best way as "crossgrades" don't always work

Quote from: "hinto"
BTW... I did learn something from the past...
I have /, swap, and /home partitions.  Re-install isn't really a problem... Just wondering how close to the edge I was.
-H

You were walking the edge of the cliff with that sort of setup and good thing you didn't fall off :D

hinto

« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/02, 16:00:02 »
^ removing #! packages, etc is how I crossgraded to semplice.  So I had sid, before adding the semplice packages.  No worries.  I'll re-image with siduction.
-H