Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Couple more (installer) bugs  (Read 43034 times)

hwgasdfasdf

Couple more (installer) bugs
« on: 2012/11/14, 09:04:06 »
After you partition the drive, you have to go back to the first screen and "clear configuration" before the partitions appear in the installer menus (or perhaps I didn't wait long enough and was impatient). I'm not sure if this is the bug that was mentioned before to do with partitioning, or something different.

When setting the mountpoints of the other partitions (other than root), there is no separate /var and /tmp, just /var/tmp (a typo??). Also, would be nice to be able to type in a mount point, rather than having to only pick from a predefined list.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #1 on: 2012/11/14, 14:36:53 »

After you partition the drive, you have to go back to the first screen and "clear configuration" before the partitions appear in the installer menus

Not true. Every tab has a way to refresh the partitons after you made changes. (to be seen in the pics on http://manual.siduction.org/en/hd-install-en.htm#Inst-prep)

When setting the mountpoints of the other partitions (other than root), there is no separate /var and /tmp, just /var/tmp (a typo??). Also, would be nice to be able to type in a mount point, rather than having to only pick from a predefined list.

Also not true.
Klick "Free Input" on the "Mountpoint Definition"-tab.

greetz
devil

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: Couple more (installer) bugs
« Reply #2 on: 2012/11/14, 16:11:48 »
Quote from: "devil"
.... Every tab has a way to refresh the partitons after you made changes....
That depends. Unfortunately, hwgasdfasdf did not write which flavour or else he uses, but for the combination noX + cli-intaller #904 is still open.

Just tested with bare blank /dev/sda without partition on it: installer offers partition manager, cfdisk chosen, primary ext4 created, installer asks to format a disk but does NOT offer sda or sda1.
Only after quitting installer and starting again /dev/sda1 is present and offered to format/install on.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

hwgasdfasdf

Re: Couple more (installer) bugs
« Reply #3 on: 2012/11/15, 00:58:32 »
I was using the KDE 64bit flavor when I ran the installer. I was also starting with a completely blank drive, no MBR, no partition table, and used gparted in the installer to make the partitions. After exiting gparted, and the installer continuing, it would not show me any of the partitions I just made to use as the root partition. The only thing on the dropdown menu was the nbd mount (as I was PXE booting). I closed the installer, and re-ran it, and it still wouldn't show anything, until I went to the first page and hit the "clear configuration" button. Then when I proceeded, all the partitions appeared in the dropdown to be selected as the root partition.

Edited to add (after looking at the screen captures in the manual Devil mentioned above), I'm sure I clicked the refresh button, and still nothing showed up. Does the refresh button in the lower box even have anything to do with actually choosing the root partition in the upper box? If so, that seems like a bit of bad UI design to me. I need to stick another new drive in and install again anyways, so I'll pay more attention to exactly what I have to do to get the partitions to show up, and be sure to try _all_ the refresh buttons.

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/11/15, 09:57:36 »
I can rember that I had the same Problem when installing siduction in virtualbox starting with unpartitioned virtual drive. Couldn't get any Partition to choose as rootpartition until I rebooted the virt. machine.
I belive It was nox, but not sure about this.

arno911

« Reply #5 on: 2012/11/15, 13:22:54 »
rebooting wasn't needed in my case, going back one step in the installer made new partitions show up.
I remember times when I would reboot after using gparted no matter what, just to be on the save side. It seems this is still neccessary in some cases, just don't ask me why… linux can be a weird experience sometimes

hwgasdfasdf

« Reply #6 on: 2012/12/04, 05:05:34 »
I forgot to update this thread after I installed again on another new disk. After creating partitions on the blank disk, I had to go back to step 1 of the installer and "clear configuration" before partitions on the new drive would show up. None of the refresh buttons were able to make the partitions show up in the dropdowns. This time, there were other drives with existing partition tables / partitions in the machine too, and those showed up fine. The problem is when installing on a fresh disk with no existing partition table only.