Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Problem mouting SD-card  (Read 2315 times)

Offline effo

• User
Problem mouting SD-card
« on: 2020/04/08, 21:38:19 »

Yesterday I came across a strange problem regarding mounting  SD cards. I was going to sync a couple of flac-files from my desktop to my music player (no smartphones allowed at work, so no Spotify). I have a rsync-script that I've been using for doing this. I mounted the player and started the script. But I noticed rsync were sending all files from desktop to player, not only the new ones. I interrupted the script to try to find out what was going on.

I ran rsync with -i to see what what happening. It turned out that there were differences in file permissions. On disk, permissions were -rw-r--r-- but on player they were rwxrwxrwx. That explained why rsync wanted to transfer all files.But why was this suddenly happening?

I was fiddeling with the player, mounting and unmounting it and noticed that it was not possible to pmount it from Konsole. That was strange, as I have been doing this before. However, mounting via Device Notifier in KDE worked fine. Once mounted via Devide Notifier, pmount says:

/dev/sdc1 on /media/effo/6131-6430 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Notice that fuseblk is applied...

To find out if mounting was broken, I tried a usb-stick (fat23). It could be mounded from Konsole (also via Device Notifier)

/dev/sde1 on /media/sde1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,quiet,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

Running Gparted revield that the music player has filesystem type exfat while the USB stick has filesystem type fat32

Running fsck.exfat on music player:

root@siductionbox:~# fsck.exfat /dev/sdc1
exfatfsck 1.3.0
Checking file system on /dev/sdc1.
File system version           1.0
Sector size                 512 bytes
Cluster size                256 KB
Volume size                 238 GB
Used space                  204 GB
Available space              35 GB
Totally 791 directories and 9857 files.
File system checking finished. No errors found.

so it looks ok.
I tried to run pmount with debug-flag (-d). When mounting USB-stick, pmount ends with

filesystem is vfat and charset is utf-8: using iso8859-1
You can change with the -c optionspawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,atime,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,utf8,iocharset=iso8859-1' '/dev/sde1' '/media/sde1'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 0

However, on music player, this happens:

VFAT in a UTF-8 locale: using option utf8
filesystem is vfat and charset is utf-8: using iso8859-1
You can change with the -c optionspawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,atime,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,utf8,iocharset=iso8859-1' '/dev/sdc' '/media/sdc'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32

which looks like a fail. Then it tries several other FS types:

spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,atime,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,iocharset=iso8859-1' '/dev/sdc' '/media/sdc'
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'hfsplus' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000' '/dev/sdc' '/media/sdc'
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'hfsplus' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000' '/dev/sdc' '/media/sdc'
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'hfs' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,file_umask=0177,dir_umask=0077' '/dev/sdc' '/media/sdc'

Any ideas what is going on? I have removed the SD-card from the player and placed it in a USB-adapter, but the result is the same.