Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  sidu-manual and pywwetha on port 80  (Read 5090 times)

Offline jaegermeister

• User
Re: sidu-manual and pywwetha on port 80
« Reply #15 on: 2015/11/11, 00:34:45 »
Being my du behind schedule, also kernel is.
---------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #16 on: 2015/11/11, 01:46:50 »
For your port 80 issue - i dont think this is exactly a (web)server problem - i think it should be solved before the ip:port/service thingy - and this lead to another mechanism - iptables i guess.

If this is feasable this would solve the problem i think - but i have absolutely no knowledge of iptables - one of the things i wanted to learn this year. But my plans  changed rapidly within a week in August - DebConf 2015 and bringing LXQt to debian.

Edit: if this is possible - we could only filter and handle this one address/port - but as i said - its a wild guess.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2015/11/11, 12:54:53 »
Not really. I always adhere to KIS rule, the simpler - the better, and this especially applies to the criteria of a general fresh install vanilla config.

Adding a new element to complicate the equation, whose management is btw far away from being simple, in order to manage a conflict of two elements which can be easily settled by reconfiguring the local port of the non-standard one of them,  just adds clutter without hitting the target.

Btw, why is the IP:port security constraint wished for general webserver not also applied for pywwetha? Instead of getting across other services, it shoud just listen on requests *specifically* made on 127.0.0.86, thing which at the moment does not happen, thus generating this mess. Clearly, it's this python server poor on config side, but introducing iptables to fix its poor design would be too much.

The real solution to this problem, as already filed by musca http://bugs.siduction.org/issues/1800 (funny that we came to the same conclusion independently in the same days!), is changing pywwetha default port and making sidu-manual point to it, or, at least, obliging pywwetha to somehow (no iptables) listen just on 127.0.0.86 without interferring with other IPs. This would be benefitting universally all users.

Should this not happen, alternatives would be:
- editing nginx.conf every time addresses change on interfaces
- apt-get purge sidu-manual pywwetha

Guess which one I would choose.
« Last Edit: 2015/11/11, 13:00:41 by jaegermeister »
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #18 on: 2015/11/11, 16:47:58 »
erm - not really true - pywwetha listen to exactly 127.0.0.86 - therefore pywwetha claims ownership for this combination - and prevent other servers from starting because they want to handle the whole address range. And exactly this triggers the conflict.

And i'm not strictly against using :81 or 82 - but that means that local url with this port are fugly and this must be tested (also in any means of the real uwsgi?? server part :D) - and i don't know how much time for programming and testing is needed. So if it is easy to implement - and reliable - implement it, test it for the installer too and if manual and installer works reliable i'm happy to merge your changes.

To be true - i would prefer a solution without programming and testing, a local webserver with your needs is not the most common configuration for a desktop OS.

Edit: i would simply choose to remove pywwetha - the manual is available online. But the local manual make sense for live machines without internet connection or installed machines without internet connection at all. In this context i beg to understand my position and that i'm not that eager to 'fix' this.
« Last Edit: 2015/11/11, 16:52:28 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2015/11/11, 17:40:57 »
I am right now investigating.

As for the port, I completely agree with you that 81, 82, etc. wouldn't be the perfect solution. Something like 54321 could be more the right choice.
« Last Edit: 2015/11/11, 17:45:43 by jaegermeister »
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #20 on: 2015/11/11, 17:54:09 »
It works here:

# diff /etc/pywwetha/pywwetha.conf.old /etc/pywwetha/pywwetha.conf
Code: [Select]
10c10
< port=80
---
> port=54321

# diff /usr/bin/sidu-control.old /usr/bin/sidu-control
Code: [Select]
57c57
<                       x-www-browser http://$VIRTHOST
---
>                       x-www-browser http://$VIRTHOST:54321
60c60
<                       www-browser http://$VIRTHOST
---
>                       www-browser http://$VIRTHOST:54321
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2015/11/12, 15:53:07 »
eth0 and eth1

Does anybody still have this anymore ?

I thought enp0/wlp0 are standard now
AFAIK they are standard for new installations but ethX is kept on existing installations until Debian 10. You might want ;) to read
 /usr/share/doc/udev/NEWS.Debian.gz
 /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian.gz
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #22 on: 2015/11/13, 10:33:24 »
Quote from: der_bud
Quote from: piper on November 10, 2015, 06:31:16 PMeth0 and eth1

Does anybody still have this anymore ?

I thought enp0/wlp0 are standard nowAFAIK they are standard for new installations but ethX is kept on existing installations until Debian 10. You might want to read
 /usr/share/doc/udev/NEWS.Debian.gz
 /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian.gz

Read ?

Does it have diagrams ?

Can't I be spoonfed  ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2015/11/13, 11:16:57 »
Hello Sirs,

rather than going off-topic, two messages ago I have posted a *working* patch to the bug filed by musca.
Who is responsible to put that in place?
THX
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #24 on: 2015/11/24, 12:54:12 »
It looks that this topic got forgotten: is anybody taking care of patching?
THX
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM