Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Copy/Move to USB-Stick without buffering  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Cefdinir71

[EN] Copy/Move to USB-Stick without buffering
« on: 2022/12/28, 16:27:19 »
Hi,

I have copied a file (approx. 500MB) from notebook to USB-Stick. After starting the copying process in dolphin I almost instantanously got the status message "100% completed". If I had unplugged the USB-Stick at that moment I would have lost the data I was copying. In fact it took about 2min. until the USB-Stick stopped flashing its status LED.

Now I wonder:
Is there a way to cut away that buffer that apparently leads to system saying "100% complete" while it is not at all complete? So that copying to USB shows a progress bar that truely matches with how much data has been copied to USB-Stick already?

I'm not sure if this is a USB-device type specific issue and won't occur with other USB storage devices, but anyway, this to me is the most error prone copying issue ever. It is especially dangerous if a USB-Stick etc. does not have an own status indicator LED to show it is still doing something and should not be touched.

Thanks for any hint here and many regards
Cefdinir.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Copy/Move to USB-Stick without buffering
« Reply #1 on: 2022/12/28, 16:42:36 »

It is especially dangerous

No it's ever dangerous to remove an usb storage device without umount it propper or safe remove it!
The same fit's for Windows®.

If you want to copy unbuffered, you need to mount the device with the sync mountoption.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.