Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] kernel questions  (Read 1470 times)

Offline finotti

• User
[EN] kernel questions
« on: 2023/12/27, 16:53:06 »
Believe it or not, I am still rolling with an old aptosid box.  But I just noticed that, if I understand the numbering correctly, the slh kernels are out of date, which is quite unusual. If that is the case, maybe slh decided to abandon the distribution for good now.  (The repo's have been working and new kernels have been coming, at least until recently, even though there is no new release and the forum has been down for years.)

Code: [Select]
$ apt policy linux-image-6.6.*amd64 | grep ^linux | sort

linux-image-6.6.0-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-0.slh.2-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-1.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-2.slh.2-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-3.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-4.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.0-7.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.8-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.8-cloud-amd64:
linux-image-6.6.8-rt-amd64:

So, it seems that the latest slh version (6.6.0-7) is behind Debian's version (6.6.8), unless the numbering convention is different.  (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Is it possible to use towo's kernels with this old aptosid box?  I would really like to avoid a fresh install on this machine, but if slh kernels stop coming, I need an alternative...

Offline edlin

• User
Re: kernel questions
« Reply #1 on: 2023/12/27, 19:21:02 »
With all due respect, aptosid died in January 2013 (over ten years ago ...). It's amazing that Stefan Lippers-Hollmann still delivered customized kernels.
When, if not now, do you want to switch to a distribution that provides you with Sid and a rolling release and is actively maintained? In my eyes, you are dragging a corpse behind you.
Who should you contact if you have problems with towo's kernel?
Back up your data, make room for a new installation and install Siduction parallel to your current system. That would be my suggestion.

edlin
Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/12/27, 21:03:53 »
And btw, slh updates its kernel on a regular basis.

linux-aptosid (6.6-10) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium

* NOT RELEASED YET
  * set ABI to 8.slh.1.

-- Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de>  Mon, 18 Dec 2023 23:38:50 +0100

linux-aptosid (6.6-9) unstable; urgency=medium

* set ABI to 7.slh.1.
  * import v6.6.7.
  * import v6.6.8-rc1.

-- Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de>  Mon, 18 Dec 2023 23:37:09 +0100

linux-aptosid (6.6-8) unstable; urgency=medium

* set ABI to 5.slh.1.
  * import v6.6.5.
  * import v6.6.6.
  * import v6.6.7-rc1.

-- Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de>  Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:21:30 +0100

linux-aptosid (6.6-7) unstable; urgency=medium

* set ABI to 4.slh.1.
  * import v6.6.4.
  * import v6.6.5-rc1.

-- Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de>  Tue, 05 Dec 2023 06:19:45 +0100
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/12/28, 19:23:17 »
And btw, slh updates its kernel on a regular basis. [snip]

Ah, so it is indeed just a different numbering scheme!  That's a big relief.

With all due respect, aptosid died in January 2013 (over ten years ago ...). It's amazing that Stefan Lippers-Hollmann still delivered customized kernels.
When, if not now, do you want to switch to a distribution that provides you with Sid and a rolling release and is actively maintained? In my eyes, you are dragging a corpse behind you.

Thanks for your comments and I do appreciate your advice.  Although I respectfully (to some extent) disagree.  The point of a rolling distribution is not to have to reinstall a system that is running well.  Right now I see my system as running Sid (and not really aptosid) with the slh kernel.  And it is running great. 

This particular system has a lot of software (not from the repos) and configurations I use for music production, and reinstalling would be very time consuming.  If I had problems with it, then sure, but I don't right now.  My main concern is if slh stops releasing kernels.  I then need a replacement kernel or indeed move on.

Who should you contact if you have problems with towo's kernel?

I assume you meant slh's kernel.  And that is indeed a very good question and relevant point.  But slh's kernels have been really reliable so far.  If I start to have problems with it and cannot find a replacement, I will indeed install siduction and carry on.

But, of course, I might be wrong about all of it. (It does happen more often then I care to admit...)  :)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/12/29, 04:32:41 »
Wow, didn't realize slh still is building kernels. You should be able to remove the older ones and keep the newest one if you like those kernels. Towo rolls some good kernel builds too.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #5 on: 2023/12/29, 11:25:16 »
And it is possible to change from one kernel to another, with no problems, so you do not have to worry about.

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/12/30, 15:08:06 »
And it is possible to change from one kernel to another, with no problems, so you do not have to worry about.

Thanks for the reply!  That's really good to know, as although I hope slh continues to release his kernel, it is a relief to know I could switch to towo's.