Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Core Meeting  (Read 6420 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] Core Meeting
« on: 2014/11/02, 21:35:42 »

Offline sunrat

• User
Re: Core Meeting
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/04, 13:18:18 »
Interesting and thanks for posting. I hope you're open to comments from a not very technical user.
- GTK Music player. I love Deadbeef. I think I first used it from siduction repo but it doesn't seem to be updated there. Currently using 0.6.2-2 installed with the deb from their Sourceforge page. Zero issues.
- Releases. As my current install of December KDE since just after release is running nicely, I'm not impatient for a new release. Obviously it would be great for new installations.
- Next. Keen to  preview Plasma 5 and Lxqt. The Razor-qt iso from earlier this year showed great promise so hopefully Lxqt will blossom too.

And thanks to all the devs for your amazing work!  8)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/04, 13:56:38 »
Will Xorg.iso become an official "siduction-base" flavour (I have different infos about it but it wasn't even mentioned in the core meeting)?

Apart from being an easy to build always up to date fall back flavour (for times like the last year when for various reasons there was no official release) it is ideal for customizing your DE or not using a complete DE at all and sticking with fluxbox (like I do).

Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/11/04, 21:31:45 »
Congrats to @musca
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #4 on: 2014/11/05, 10:24:46 »
Hello,

thanks for your feedback, your interest, and  your congrats.

sunrat, i'll have a look at deadbeef, but honestly i would prefer something from the debian repo.

michaa7, the xorg.iso comes not only with xorg (obviously) but also with our prefered display-manager lightdm plus some siduction-settings. On top of this convbsd has worked on "addpkg" which is able to add whole siduction flavours to a system. This result was possible because the siduction team has spent a lot of work in clean debian packaging. I don't think that this base system could replace the well known full desktops of siduction live-media, but it is a cute method and fits special interests.

Also thx to ralul  :)

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/11/05, 11:44:08 »
Hello
As musca saed xorg iso purpose is for using addpkg and to let users to test new desktop environments.
Tough xorg iso includes fluxbox with siduction settings and siduction packages such as installer, manual and so on.
If someone wants to use xorg iso as a regular base he/she should add prefered applications over it after installing.
Thank you

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/11/05, 13:44:24 »
michaa7, the xorg.iso comes not only with xorg (obviously) but also with our prefered display-manager lightdm plus some siduction-settings. On top of this convbsd has worked on "addpkg" which is able to add whole siduction flavours to a system. This result was possible because the siduction team has spent a lot of work in clean debian packaging. I don't think that this base system could replace the well known full desktops of siduction live-media, but it is a cute method and fits special interests.

Thanks, but this does not answer my question, especially when you talk about "replacement". It never occured to me xorg.iso could replace other DE.isos. It is even less understandable as you first praise its features but then you leave my question unanswered.

Fluxbox *is* a usuable desktop (although not a complete DE, but a WM only). I'm not asking to create a new flavor but to publish one you already have. For fluxbox users it's the best starting point one could imagine.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/11/05, 19:36:14 »
the new mplayer2 is mpv. Ready to use in Debian repositories. Every two weeks an upstream release, which is covered by Debian sid.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/11/05, 19:51:02 »
the new mplayer2 is mpv...
which in the past didn't provide smplayer support (slave mode needed).