Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Problem setting up HP printer  (Read 4156 times)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
Problem setting up HP printer
« on: 2022/02/25, 18:43:03 »
Hi all

So, for the first time in awhile I can't finish the printer setup routine, either using HPLIP or cups. When entering the authentication name "root" and "password" I get an error message (as seen below). I've tried every combination of user names (both root and user) with every combination of passwords with no luck. Two other siduction installations had no problem setting up my wireless printer and work fine. Does anyone have any ideas, the error has to do with setting up the queue, I've never seen that error before.
« Last Edit: 2022/02/25, 19:18:24 by GoinEasy9 »
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Problem setting up HP printer
« Reply #1 on: 2022/02/25, 19:39:18 »
I have never seen that error, but google found a thread on arch that appears to have several possible solutions:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=249239

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/02/26, 17:19:34 »
Thanks dibl

Thanks for the response. I tried some of the instructions from the Arch site, along with adding my user to lpadmin, and removing and reinstalling hplip, still no luck.
I noticed a new hplip came in on the 2/24, that may have something to do with it. I always thought I had the printer setup in this install (The ppd file for the printer is there), it could be the new version causing the problem. When I tried removing completely using Synaptic I noticed an error, when removing hplip-gui from the install it went through without error, so, that may be the problem, I haven't researched that yet.

When adding the group lpadmin to my user, I noticed the old install had 20 groups attached. This newer install only had 2. That's a situation I'll look up later.

Damn this is frustrating, even cups is telling me I'm unable to add the printer, I'm forbidden.

Thanks again dibl

Offline dsat

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2022/02/27, 13:14:22 »
Maybe OT, but I also had some trouble with my network printer (Samsung GLX-6220). Printer wasn't locateable anymore. After deleting the printer I even wasn't able to reinstall it, because it was not found anymore. It took me a while to remember that I recently installed firewalld. After removing firewalld the printer was ok again. So in my case it was not cups or the printer driver but firewalld.

Regard dsat

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2022/02/27, 15:57:46 »
Thanks for the response dsat

It does appear that firewalld did not get installed with the standard KDE install. Since I've never had to go look for it before, I never noticed. I have tried skanlite and it finds the printer, as hplip finds the printer driver. It's only the authentication step that fails.

I appreciate the ideas, I'm still comparing the older install with this newer one to see if I can find a solution.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2022/02/27, 20:25:14 »
Hi

So, I added cups-pk-helper and system-config-printer and worked off "Print Settings" in the Settings menu and it took the root authorization and set the printer up ... It's working \yay/.

But ... HP-Toolbox still doesn't see the printer, and I get that same message as earlier when I try to install it with HPLIP.

Something tells me that the new version of HPLIP that came in on 2/24 has problems.

Thanks again for the responses.:-)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: 2022/02/27, 23:38:34 »
Hah!

Print settings has never been a reliable method to set up an HP printer. I have a Laserjet Pro P1606dn and it's working fine, but I still remember @slam from sidux days saying don't ever try to use the KDE printer settings utility for an HP printer.

Great that you got it working, however you did it!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2022/03/05, 13:07:03 »
@GoinEasy9

So, I added cups-pk-helper and system-config-printer and worked off "Print Settings" in the Settings menu and it took the root authorization

Could you please explain, where you did that. In other words, where do I add cups-pk-helper and system-config-printer.

ANd where exactly do I add the group lpadmin to my user?
I use a canon printer.

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2022/03/05, 14:07:10 »
@GoinEasy9
I read a bit more, and also found the answer in the other thread.

I did a: usermod -a -G lpadmin myusername  ( or should I do it the other way?)

and mention programms:

Code: [Select]
apt install cups-pk-helper system-config-printer

cups-pk-helper ist schon die neueste Version (0.2.6-1+b1).
system-config-printer ist schon die neueste Version (1.5.16-1).

=> both were installed before

Unfortunatly, I still got the same error

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2022/03/05, 17:09:05 »
I'm sorry for the delayed answer Lanzi,

Since I already set up the printer, a step by step accounting is not possible. I did start at the Main Menu, choosing settings, then print settings. All that showed in the print settings window was the PDF icon. Server --> Settings asked for the root password and it accepted it, I didn't change anything under Settings and closed that window. Now, Settings --> New -- > Printer allowed me to set up the printer without an error.

This is the best I can remember.

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2022/03/06, 13:04:36 »
okay, thanks.
I cannot add new printers or delete old ones. I am stuck
« Last Edit: 2022/03/06, 13:09:42 by Lanzi »

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2022/03/06, 14:57:30 »
Long shot, but just in case: after you've added your user to lpadmin, did you log out and logged in again for the change to take effect?  And when asking for authentication you've entered the users password, right?  (Again, just to be sure...)

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2022/03/07, 13:58:16 »
@finotii: Thats was the solution. Thanks a lot!!!

Offline Doyle

« Reply #13 on: 2022/03/08, 11:09:08 »
Sie können sie hier anzeigen oder vergrößern, was Sie hier reparieren müssen
« Last Edit: 2022/03/16, 03:45:56 by Doyle »