Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  New lightdm in sid  (Read 3730 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
New lightdm in sid
« on: 2015/06/27, 23:06:05 »
Hi, there is a new lightdm in sid - so, if apt asks - the best choice is 'N'
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

mylo

Re: New lightdm in sid
« Reply #1 on: 2015/06/28, 14:05:59 »
Code: [Select]
pol lightdm
lightdm:
  Installiert:           1.14.0-1
  Installationskandidat: 1.14.0-1
Is it already the new one?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2015/06/28, 14:39:24 »
nope

apt-cache policy lightdm
lightdm:
  Installiert:           1.14.2-1
  Installationskandidat: 1.14.2-1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 1.14.2-1 0
        990 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd/ buildd-unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.14.0-1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

mylo

« Reply #3 on: 2015/06/29, 23:22:45 »
yep, that version arrived in between.

KrunchTime

« Reply #4 on: 2015/07/20, 09:17:50 »
Hi, there is a new lightdm in sid - so, if apt asks - the best choice is 'N'
Is this still an issue and if so, why do you suggest choosing not to upgrade the package?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2015/07/20, 09:37:41 »
@KrunchTime - this was for the debconf message - don't use the settings from the maintainer (=debian)

KrunchTime

« Reply #6 on: 2015/07/20, 09:40:24 »
Thank you, melmarker.

holgerw

« Reply #7 on: 2015/07/20, 15:22:57 »
Hello Alf,

so we've following situations during a dist-upgrade, when aswering questions refering to package settings:
1. package A comes from siduction repo, is a modified debian package and package A-new comes from debian repo
2. package A comes from siduction repo, is a modified debian package and package A-new also comes from siduction repo
3. package A comes from debian repo and A-new comes from siduction repo (perhaps a fix of broken stuff)
4. package A comes from debian repo and A-new also comes from debian repo
5. package A is a special siduction tool like ceni and A-new also comes from siduction

I guess, 1 is a candidate for answering no for holding siduction settings, 2,3,5 are candidates for yes, and 4 is a candidate for reading DU warnings carefully before answering :)

Am I right here?

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #8 on: 2015/07/20, 16:47:03 »
Always go with "N"  = everything

Unless something is posted here in the forums, is probably the best, safest way to go.

It's always been that way in sid as far as I can remember.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2015/07/20, 20:02:27 »
@piper and holgerw - one could press D for diff - and descide if the proposed changes make sense

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2015/07/21, 00:44:55 »
I have just dedicated sddm as default for now, been running smooth, so I''l keep it. ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2015/07/21, 20:56:31 »
@piper: you are a native speaker and use no such things like alternative keyboard layouts or fucking umlauts in your usernames and passwords? Ok, in that case is sddm a good choice :D

Edit: Looking into the sddm bugtracker and sources it might be that some of the things that i hate in sddm will be addressed within the next sddm release.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2015/07/21, 23:36:51 »
@melmarker: i suppose i keep forgetting about the native shit, but yeah, fucking umlauts would piss me off too ;)