Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  g15stats won't autostart kde  (Read 2218 times)

Llewen

g15stats won't autostart kde
« on: 2018/12/21, 11:44:47 »
This is probably a stupid newbie question, but I can't get g15stats to autostart in kde.  The start menu shortcut works fine, but when I add it to the autostart, it  doesn't do it's thing.  I've also tried adding it as a script from /usr/bin.  The shortcut just uses the command "g15stats".
Now I need coffee...
« Last Edit: 2018/12/21, 13:09:16 by Llewen »

Llewen

Re: g15stats won't autostart kde
« Reply #1 on: 2018/12/21, 12:30:57 »
"The autostart feature has a bug, currently it is not possible to run a script after the startup of your Plasma™ session."

I'm thinking that's the issue.  I'll find another way to do it.

Llewen

« Reply #2 on: 2018/12/21, 13:08:24 »
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-automatically-execute-shell-script-at-startup-boot-on-systemd-linux
For the basics on using systemctl to run anything as a service.  May the gods bless Linux and stuff...

Llewen

« Reply #3 on: 2018/12/21, 21:09:15 »
I'm open to suggestions again.  I installed it as a service, but it won't start when I boot.  I can start the script manually, but I'd like to have it load either on boot or after login.

Contents of the systemd unit file:

Code: [Select]
[Unit]
Description=G15 Stats for G510s Service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/g15stats
StandardOutput=null
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Alias=g15stats.service

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2018/12/21, 22:14:12 »
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/g15stats - and you think that you are in the right forum about - that package was dead in the water years ago.

Two suggestions:
a) use stable or maybe better old-stable
b) fix it and bring it back to life

Both choices are up to you
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Llewen

« Reply #5 on: 2018/12/21, 23:01:46 »
g15stats actually works, and works well, I just can't get it to auto start.  I guess you missed the bit where I said I was able to start the script and run it manually.  But thanks for the lecture, it's appreciated.  Your cup of smug looked hot as well... ;)
I actually have a g510s keyboard and some dude updated the g15daemon package for it.  I've kinda gotten stuck on getting g15stats to auto start, I haven't had a chance to see if the g keys work as intended.

Llewen

« Reply #6 on: 2018/12/21, 23:06:28 »
My turn for a lecture.  If you want more people to use Linux, and presumably build a user base which will lead more developers to invest the bandwidth necessary to do cool things like improve driver support, develop games which run natively on Linux, the attitude has to find a nice quiet stream and drown itself...

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2018/12/21, 23:19:12 »
much text for one who overread b)

mhh - i'm in the mood to be clear about - god damn: just fix the fucking autostart and be done with, really - extra bonus points for providing an upstream patch or at least a meaningful debian bug report - ok, second half of the suggestion is a bit unfair, the package is dead already.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Llewen

« Reply #8 on: 2018/12/21, 23:24:04 »
I'm a linux noob, and I thought perhaps there was something simple I had missed that someone who was experienced with Linux, and specifically Debian/Sid, might have caught.  The service exits, but the plugin works just fine I run it manually.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2018/12/22, 00:23:51 »
There is something simple: Just try it out. A first suggestion might be to write an autostart file yourself - should be placed into $HOME/.config/autostart

A culpit might be any desktop file in /usr/share/applications/*desktop - just drop the translations and take care about the remaining 5 or 6 lines. Dunno, but i would try something like:

Exec=foo

If this don't work i would try something like

Exec=sh -c "sleep #x000 && /fullpath/foo"

Maybe an implicit test for a terminal or systray might help, one will find examples.

Llewen

« Reply #10 on: 2018/12/22, 03:03:55 »
Much appreciated.  I will try that, tomorrow.  Too tired to do it today.  I've been fighting with that and other things all day.

I ran Half-Life mod and Source mod servers over 15 years ago on a Debian box.  That was all ssh and command line, and I did mess around with Linux gui's a little back then.  But a lot has changed, and I have forgotten most of what I knew.
I'm mostly happy I'm finally switching to Linux full time, but there is a lot to learn and I'm not one to do things the easy way.  I also knew that getting my Logitech peripherals to be something other than expensive decorations was going to be a serious challenge.  I have a hunch I'll probably be ditching them for something else before too long.

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2018/12/22, 11:33:13 »
start systemsettings-->start and quit-->autostart-->"Add script...-->as "execution time" Before login

The script lands in the path:
~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/

reboot

Llewen

« Reply #12 on: 2018/12/22, 13:12:04 »
I finally got it working, using the kde autostart.  sleep 20 did the trick, although I expect I'll be able to lower that.  Thanks for the help.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #13 on: 2018/12/22, 13:14:36 »
kde autostart puts it in ~/.config/autostart which is fine

my conky stuff goes there

~/.config/autostart/conky-startup.sh
« Last Edit: 2018/12/22, 13:18:49 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck