Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Siduction Gnome 3 will never work...with vboxdriver  (Read 28111 times)

Offline Hanisch

• User
[EN] Re: Aptosid Gnome 3 will never work...with vboxdriver
« Reply #60 on: 2014/10/03, 18:45:17 »

as you see - a current aptosid with a current vbox with a current siduction gnome
Inappropriate for my problem. You have Desktop Gnome 3.8.4 and 64 Bit.
With this Gnome-Version I had likewise no problem. The newest Gnome-Version 3.14 is the problem

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Aptosid Gnome 3 will never work...with vboxdriver
« Reply #61 on: 2014/10/03, 19:28:53 »
@hanisch: I'm really known for my endless patience, friendly words and absolutly no plan about debian sid in special and linux in common - so please stop writing bullshit right now. You are young enough, spend your time with something useful, maybe install CentOS, Windows, OSX - but you really should not waste your and esp. our time with arguing about aptosid, siduction and sid. As i wrote: aptosid, vbox and siduction gnome work perfectly fine.

And before you write another senseless post - i have updated our last gnome release to the current debian sid packages. It work without breaks as expected. So does the upgrade of aptosid. And please remember - we did the aptosid fork because of interpersonal differences - not technical reasons. Aptosid is as rockstable and usable as a sid based system can be. So is siduction. Please don't blame the aptosid nor the siduction devs for your lack of knowledge and self introduced faults.

THANK YOU!
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #62 on: 2014/10/03, 22:25:33 »
Just to make sure it is not (only) the superior skill of one of our devs...  ;)

After two bottles of "Federweiser" I managed to install the current siduction gnome in a vbox on a current aptosid host, with extensions, with guestadditions.

So I can say now: It's not a problem of siduction/gnome, not a problem of vbox and not a problem of aptosid, so what remains?

https://imageshack.com/i/f0eBNKZjp

greets
ayla

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #63 on: 2014/10/03, 23:07:27 »

After two bottles of "Federweiser" ...

[OT]@ayla, you just reminded me of that great Federweis!  I remember that from one my visits to Pfalz some years ago -- a half-fermented Riesling, all bubbly and with the yeast floating around in it, which you can buy at the vendor booth along the road from Höheinöd to Thaleischweiler.  What a great memory of a nice autumn day in the old Pfalz.[/OT]
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #64 on: 2014/10/03, 23:36:08 »
/OT @dibl: Glad that you enjoyed your visit. Visiting the Pfalz, especially the aeras were the wine is growing, should be done in autumn  ;) OT/

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #65 on: 2014/10/04, 01:41:26 »
I apologize.

Hanish is at least in this right: there is something wrong with Oracle Vbox 4.3.16 and the guest Additions. I haven't restartet vbox after installing the guest additions so I didnt get the fault before.
After I did now, the guest starts until it reaches the login screen. After login the "Oh no, something went wrong..." message appears insteed of the gnome desktop.

The reason may be found in the linked image: https://imageshack.com/i/f0RKrwMZj -easy to overlook, because vbox goes on after the fault and the message isn't very clear also because its's pointing to a "following module compilation" and evrything what follows is "done"- But "done" without having the headers for doing it??

As gnome and vbox without the Guest additions is working as expected my guess is: It's a problem with the Installer for the guest additions and should be reported to Oracle.

EDIT:
Trying a kde-guest on the given configuration. The guest additions are working there although the same message as above linked appears...
diggin in deeper.
« Last Edit: 2014/10/04, 11:22:33 by ayla »

Offline Hanisch

• User
« Reply #66 on: 2014/10/04, 11:48:29 »
I apologize.

Hanish is at least in this right: there is something wrong with Oracle Vbox 4.3.16 and the guest Additions. I haven't restartet vbox after installing the guest additions so I didnt get the fault before.
After I did now, the guest starts until it reaches the login screen. After login the "Oh no, something went wrong..." message appears insteed of the gnome desktop.
Ok. - It is though a problem for "Upgrade Warnings".

As gnome and vbox without the Guest additions is working as expected my guess is: It's a problem with the Installer for the guest additions and should be reported to Oracle.
Perhaps, but in many instances of installation in the past of VBoxGuestAdditions the message "The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following module compilation fails then this could be the reason." has no effect because the installtion is going right.
With KDE there are no problems, GuestAdditions works well.  Only the siduction gnome-shell Version 3.14.1-0 gets this mystic message.

After I have installed VBoxGuestAddition-4.3.14-95030
Code: [Select]
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 4.3.14 Guest Additions for Linux............
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 4.3.16 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following
module compilation fails then this could be the reason.

Building the main Guest Additions module ...done.
Building the shared folder support module ...done.
Building the OpenGL support module ...done.
Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions ...done.
You should restart your guest to make sure the new modules are actually used

Installing the Window System drivers
Warning: unknown version of the X Window System installed.  Not installing
X Window System drivers.
 ...done.
Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components ...done.
Press Return to close this window...
GNOME 3 and KDE works with this GuestAdditions for Shared Folder, But not X-Windows.
Please show my Thread in this Forum http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4896.0

with regards
Ch. Hanisch
« Last Edit: 2014/10/04, 14:59:42 by Hanisch »

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #67 on: 2014/10/04, 12:12:08 »
I wouldn't consider this a problem for upgrade warnings.

1) It's the Oracle vbox not the debian one -so who uses it is on it's own.

2) Gnome works as expected, it's just failing when using the guest addittions

and besides, who cares where a problem is locatet, as long as there are people who are interestet in it?

And seeing the installer of the guest additions working on a kde install you may be right in this too: it may be a problem of the gnome desktop.

BUT: as towo linked to a upgrade warning in one of your other threads it may easaly be a temporary problem, because as musca pointed out there:
in about six weeks jessie will be frozen, so developers are in a hurry to get latest gnome into it.

Edit:

Testet around a while with no result, I'm not used to gnome so I can't imaging what happens and certainly not in connection with vbox.
If some one else is interested here are the logs I was going over, more can be provided if questioned:
http://paste.siduction.org/20141004112828
http://paste.siduction.org/20141004112822
http://paste.siduction.org/20141004112742
http://paste.siduction.org/20141004112659

greets
ayla
« Last Edit: 2014/10/04, 13:42:26 by ayla »

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: Siduction Gnome 3 will never work...with vboxdriver
« Reply #68 on: 2014/10/04, 17:10:03 »
From Oracle Virtualbox Forum:
Re: Discuss the 4.3.16 release

Postby kkshethin » 29. Sep 2014, 15:32
"The VBox Guest Additions before 4.3.16 did not ship X11 drivers to support X.org 1.16. The 4.3.16 Guest Additions include such drivers. But the changes in X.org reveal a bug in the VBox Guest Additions which prevented the GNOME shell from being started. Could you try this test .iso image and check if it makes your F21 guest work as expected? Thank you!"

It works.
This saved my day.

Thanks.

There are Testbuilds at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds, the last two lines for guestadditions and extpack.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #69 on: 2014/10/04, 17:43:33 »
Testet with the VBox 4.3.17r96317, VBGuest additions 4.3.17-96277 and extpack 4.3.17-96238 for 32bit. Works.

greets
ayla

Offline Hanisch

• User
« Reply #70 on: 2014/10/04, 17:45:03 »
Hi,
Oh, wonderful. It works fine now with the VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.17-96277.iso installed in siduction Guest.
There are Testbuilds at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds, the last two lines for guestadditions and extpack.
The solution is found. The gnome-shell Version 3.14.1-0 is compatible with this newest VBoxGuestAdditions-4.3.17.
Thank you very much.

with regards
Ch. Hanisch

Offline Hanisch

• User
« Reply #71 on: 2014/10/04, 17:51:09 »
Testet with the VBox 4.3.17r96317, VBGuest additions 4.3.17-96277 and extpack 4.3.17-96238 for 32bit. Works.
Yes, it works. Only with VBGuest additions 4.3.17-96277 installed in siduction Guest.
But the  VBox 4.3.17r96317 and extpack 4.3.17-96238 was not necessary. Or why is it necessary?

regards
Ch. Hanisch

« Last Edit: 2014/10/04, 21:10:02 by Hanisch »

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #72 on: 2014/10/04, 18:00:31 »
I don't like to run in trouble because of a version mismatch.

Offline Hanisch

• User
« Reply #73 on: 2014/10/04, 21:06:39 »
I don't like to run in trouble because of a version mismatch.
The VirtualBox and the VBoxGuestAdditions must not be the same version.
The version of VBoxGuestAdditions can be lower or higher. VBoxGuestAdditions are only for Guest-Systems not for Host.
You can use VBGuestadditions 4.3.17-96277 from ORACLE Homepage to install in your Guest and virtualbox 4.3.14-dfsg-1 from Debian unstable contrib in your Host.
It is very comfortable to use VirtualBox from ORACLE Homepage for the always newest version of VirtualBox.

with best regards
Ch. Hanisch
« Last Edit: 2014/10/05, 10:43:12 by Hanisch »

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #74 on: 2014/10/05, 20:19:08 »
Thanks for the Infos. It helped my also with my problem here: http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5011