Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Many packages to be autoremoved  (Read 3812 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Many packages to be autoremoved
« on: 2018/01/01, 01:04:14 »
@dibl - sorry, i really forget it

We have changed the apt setting a bit - the first plan was to roll out these changes only for new installations but after some testing and a lengthy IRC session we was conviced that these settings make sense even in older installations. So what is changed:
* we install recommends by default - the meaning and quality of recommend packages has changed in the last ten years a lot and to the better - they will be mostly used as soft dependencies aka packages one want to have in the installation - the second important thing is that it ease transitions and package split a lot if new packages will be installed because they are recommend. This is especialy true for Desktop Environments that are in heavy change like KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon, Mate.
* we don't hide autoremovals any longer  - so one can autoremove crufty packages with apt autoremove after carefully checking these or mark them as manually installed if one like to have them staying on the system - no body is forced to do autoremovals, a simple apt purge will work to and is a good option when in doubt.

Downsides/Pitfalls: On older systems the autoremoval functionality might be used with care, some flags was  not set in the past - solution: apt-mark $package. This is self repairing over time, updated and new installed packages will have the needed flag automagically. Important: This described behaviour is only for autoremovals - so if apt say it want to remove packages it is the same behaviour as before - transitions in progress and so on.

Kernel Remover: Most of the obsoleted Kernel will go with autoremovals - that should work fine most of the time, apt handle these obsoleted kernel images and headers like any other package.

@dibl: if i wrote to much crap - or it hurt to much because of used words/grammar - feel free to edit :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Online dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Many packages to be autoremoved
« Reply #1 on: 2018/01/01, 04:02:19 »
Perfectly said -- no need to edit -- thank you very much!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2018/01/01, 04:17:55 »
And one addition: I had set the configuration to hard - autoremove on - that was not intended. The nice thing about - this setting only work with apt-get - so one who use apt $foo is not affected. Users who still use apt-get should edit /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80siduction and change the autoremove line to "0" or
Code: [Select]
apt update; apt install apt-conf-siduction

Nachtrag: Ich hab ein zu hartes Apt-Setting gewählt, was so nicht wirklich dauerhaft clever ist. Benutzer von apt-get bitte die autoremove-zeile in der Datei /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80siduction auf "0" ändern oder mit apt die aktuellen settings installieren.
« Last Edit: 2018/01/01, 12:26:23 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/01/01, 12:55:56 »
Is there some guide for use of apt rather than apt-get as I'm still using the Manual?

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/01/01, 13:07:36 »
Is there some guide for use of apt rather than apt-get as I'm still using the Manual?

For what I know this explains quite well: https://itsfoss.com/apt-vs-apt-get-difference/

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/01/01, 13:14:29 »
Thanks! Just what I'm after.

Offline OppaErich

• OLE
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/01/01, 14:08:40 »
Happy new year !

apt-get and apt and two different programs ? I thought apt-get would invoke apt.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2018/01/01, 14:27:04 »
Happy new year !

apt-get and apt and two different programs ? I thought apt-get would invoke apt.
Yes two different programs but I believe that booth use or delegate to dkpg at least for actual installing and removal of packages.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2018/01/01, 14:54:46 »
man apt:
BESCHREIBUNG
       apt stellt eine ausgefeilte Befehlszeilenschnittstelle für das
       Paketverwaltungssystem zur Verfügung. Es ist als
       Endanwenderschnittstelle gedacht und aktiviert standardmäßig einige für
       den für den interaktiven Gebrauch besser geeignete Optionen verglichen
       mit spezialisierteren Werkzeugen wie apt-get(8 ) und apt-cache(8 ).

DESCRIPTION
       apt provides a high-level commandline interface for the package
       management system. It is intended as an end user interface and enables
       some options better suited for interactive usage by default compared to
       more specialized APT tools like apt-get(8 ) and apt-cache(8 ).

It is highly recommend to use this high level wrapper - maybe the best comparisation is git. On can use git pull, git branch, git merge or the low level commands git-pull, git-branch. git-merge (ls /usr/bin/git*) etc. But common use is git :)

Also bitte apt benutzen - weniger tippen, bessere defaults für die Kommandozeile - in scripts bitte apt-* verwenden :)
« Last Edit: 2018/01/02, 03:07:30 by melmarker »

Offline OppaErich

• OLE
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2018/01/01, 15:06:11 »
Ah, thanks. I do use apt. I just thought it's a replacement for apt-get.

Edit:
Who wrote that man-page. S/He does know weird words (for non-natives)  ;D

Much like apt itself, its manpage is intended as an end user interface and as such only mentions the most used commands and options partly to not duplicate information in multiple places and partly to avoid overwhelming readers with a cornucopia of options and details.

Hi there cornucopia, nice to meet you.
« Last Edit: 2018/01/01, 15:11:57 by OppaErich »

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2018/01/02, 00:30:50 »
Thanks for the heads up, but now I need to clean up my autoremoves ... lol. 

:-[