Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Ceni and remembering wifi passwords  (Read 3293 times)

viniosity

[EN] Ceni and remembering wifi passwords
« on: 2014/05/08, 22:37:46 »
I'm still on the fence about whether to install siduction or not and had a quick question on wifi passwords. When I travel between locations, does Ceni (or something else) remember my wifi passwords and auto-reconnect or do I have to keep my wifi passwords memorized?

timc

Re: Ceni and remembering wifi passwords
« Reply #1 on: 2014/05/08, 23:18:48 »
I only connect to one router, but ceni does keep the password. I assume it would do the same for multiple networks.

Tim

viniosity

« Reply #2 on: 2014/05/08, 23:20:30 »
Ceni stores the password (in plaintext) in /etc/network/interfaces

I don't think that file supports multiple wpa-psk entries and ssids which means Ceni would have to store the info elsewhere.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/05/09, 01:01:11 »
Network-manager will do the job -and is default since some releases afaik

Greets
Ayla

UP2L8

« Reply #4 on: 2014/05/09, 07:35:05 »
The NetworkManager applet is a Gnome app.  I'm running Siduction LXDE and network management is handled by the NetworkManager applet.  I assume that the same applies for Siduction XFCE.  I'm not sure, but I doubt it's used in Siduction KDE or Razor QT.  One could find out for sure by browsing through the manifest file for the desired environment.

Another thing to think about if you use a personal VPN service is how easy it is to do the setup for whatever network management app is provided.  I tried another Sid-based distro last year and if I remember correctly, you had to create text files containing the VPN info.  I can't remember if the distro used Wicd or Ceni.

I use a VPN service that has multiple servers, so setting up text files for all of the servers would be a bit of a pain.  Doing it in the NetworkManager applet is tedious enough.

05/09/2014-01 edit:  I just checked the manifest for Siduction Xorg and Ceni is used in that environment.  I've also thougt a little more about my statement regarding VPN configuration.  Actually, a text file would be easier as you could easily duplicate existing files to create configurations for additional connectons and you could easily transfer those files to other Linux distros that you are using.  This is assuming that Ceni can be configured for VPN service.
« Last Edit: 2014/05/09, 09:23:36 by UP2L8 »

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/05/09, 07:39:48 »
On KDE it's handled via plasma-nm.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/05/09, 08:33:58 »
While ceni is a nice tool if one normally connects to only one network, for your usecase network-manager would be the better choice. Since siduction "December" network-manager is shipped with every desktop (on KDE together with plasma-widget-networkmanagement, on XFCE with network-manager-gnome ...). Another often recommended alternative for managing multiple networks is wicd.

If you'd like to set up roaming manual or cli-based, you might look up 'wpasupplicant' in the manual (cannot tell you more as I don't use that).
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

UP2L8

« Reply #7 on: 2014/05/09, 09:20:31 »
While ceni is a nice tool if one normally connects to only one network, for your usecase network-manager would be the better choice. Since siduction "December" network-manager is shipped with every desktop (on KDE together with plasma-widget-networkmanagement, on XFCE with network-manager-gnome ...). Another often recommended alternative for managing multiple networks is wicd.

If you'd like to set up roaming manual or cli-based, you might look up 'wpasupplicant' in the manual (cannot tell you more as I don't use that).
Correct about NetworkManager applet in KDE.  I just checked the manifest a few minutes ago.  I didn't realize that it was desktop agnostic.
« Last Edit: 2014/05/09, 09:24:45 by UP2L8 »