Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  pulseaudio crashes repeatedly  (Read 3712 times)

mxmehl

pulseaudio crashes repeatedly
« on: 2016/03/27, 23:48:30 »
Hi all,

Since a few weeks my pulseaudio has been crashing constantly. This results in audio not played in several applications (audio player, VLC, video chat). To resolve it, I have to do killall pulseaudio ; pulseaudio -D.

I think this has first begun after I installed some KDE applications, mainly some of the Korganizer suite. This feeling strenghtens because everytime I plug in a device (or also mount a Truecrypt container), the KDE message "Audio devices have been removed" appears (see attachment).

I already tried to remove the applications I installed but without success. I also noticed there're still some KDE related processes running. However, I don't want to remove everything KDE related since Digikam or Okular shouldn't be removed.

What else can I do? If you need any debug info, please let me know.

Some system info:
Code: [Select]
max@host ~> inxi -b -z
System:    Host: host Kernel: 4.4.3-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: siduction 13.2.1 December - xfce - (201401272206)
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 1143K7G v: ThinkPad E520
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 1143K7G Bios: LENOVO v: 8HET43WW(1.25) date: 03/01/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2350M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 843/2300 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.88hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.1.2
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2500.5GB (54.6% used)
Info:      Processes: 297 Uptime: 28 days Memory: 2459.5/7900.5MB Client: Shell (fish) inxi: 2.2.33

Installed packages: Link

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: pulseaudio crashes repeatedly
« Reply #1 on: 2016/03/28, 00:07:59 »
I think pulse is confused between gnome, kde, and xfce, etc ...  :)

This is good reason not to run different flavors on one install.

I can try and look at this later, no time at the moment (cooking dinner on grill)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

mxmehl

« Reply #2 on: 2016/03/28, 00:30:15 »
I think pulse is confused between gnome, kde, and xfce, etc ...  :)

This is good reason not to run different flavors on one install.

Well, I didn't want to have the KDE desktop, just some applications. Is even this a bad idea?

I can try and look at this later, no time at the moment (cooking dinner on grill)

Thanks a lot! Enjoy :)

tmhind2

« Reply #3 on: 2016/03/28, 12:16:14 »
@mxmehl, I got around that problem be installing the different desktop(s) or siduction versions on different gpt partitions, because I was having the same problems. Might not be the answer you are looking for but a work around just the same. :)

regards, Tom

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/03/29, 10:38:57 »
Quote from: tmhind2
@mxmehl, I got around that problem be installing the different desktop(s) or siduction versions on different gpt partitions, because I was having the same problems. Might not be the answer you are looking for but a work around just the same.

regards, Tom

The best answer       ^^^^

As for your problem, I would have to wait till the weekend to install xfce, gnome, etc, and everything else you have installed to toy with and try and figure this out

You could try

apt remove --purge pulseaudio  paman paprefs pavucontrol

reboot and reinstall, but, it could get confused again, which I am sure it would, but worth the try
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

mxmehl

« Reply #5 on: 2016/03/29, 13:09:25 »
Quote from: tmhind2
@mxmehl, I got around that problem be installing the different desktop(s) or siduction versions on different gpt partitions, because I was having the same problems. Might not be the answer you are looking for but a work around just the same.

regards, Tom

The best answer       ^^^^

As for your problem, I would have to wait till the weekend to install xfce, gnome, etc, and everything else you have installed to toy with and try and figure this out

Sorry, I didn't make this clear. I haven't installed whole other desktops, there's only XFCE running. However, I installed some KDE(-connected?) applications like digikam, okular and Korganizer, that's why KDE dependencies seem to be running on my computer.

apt remove --purge pulseaudio  paman paprefs pavucontrol

reboot and reinstall, but, it could get confused again, which I am sure it would, but worth the try

I will try that and report back, thanks!

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/03/30, 09:57:51 »
Sorry, I didn't make this clear

Yes, you did ;)

You have a lot of kde, gnome, xfce, stuff (dependencies)  running period, maybe more than what you know/think, this is just my quick glance at it, and I didn't grab all of it,  and why we recommend not installing so many flavours on a production system.

This is what just a "few" apps does to your system

gnome-calculator install gnome-icon-theme install gnome-icon-theme-symbolic install gnome-keyring install gnome-menus install gnome-mime-data install gnome-mplayer install gnome-themes-standard:amd64 install gnome-themes-standard-data libgnome-2-0:amd64 install libgnome-bluetooth11 install libgnome-bluetooth13 deinstall libgnome-keyring-common install libgnome-keyring0:amd64 install libgnome-menu-3-0 install libgnome2-0:amd64 install libgnome2-bin install libgnome2-canvas-perl install libgnome2-common install libgnome2-gconf-perl install libgnome2-perl install libgnome2-vfs-perl install libgnome2-wnck-perl install libgnomecanvas2-0:amd64 install libgnomecanvas2-common install libgnomeui-0:amd64 install libgnomeui-common install libgnomevfs2-0:amd64 install libgnomevfs2-common  kde-l10n-de install kde-runtime install kde-runtime-data install kdelibs-bin install kdelibs5-data install kdelibs5-plugins install kdepim-runtime deinstall kdoctools libkabc4 deinstall libkactivities-bin install libkactivities-models1 install libkactivities6 install libkalarmcal2 deinstall libkate1:amd64 install libkatepartinterfaces4 install libkcal4 deinstall libkcalcore4 deinstall libkcalutils4 deinstall libkcddb4 deinstall libkcmutils4 install libkcompactdisc4 deinstall libkdcraw-data install libkdcraw23 install libkde3support4 install libkdeclarative5 install libkdecore5 install libkdepim4 deinstall libkdepimdbusinterfaces4 deinstall libkdesu5 install libkdeui5 install libkdewebkit5 install libkdgantt2-0 deinstall libkdnssd4 install libkemoticons4 install libkexiv2-11 install libkexiv2-data install libkeybinder-3.0-0:amd64 install libkeybinder0 install libkeyutils1:amd64 install libkfile4 install libkfilemetadata4 deinstall libkgapi2-2:amd64 deinstall libkholidays4 deinstall libkhtml5 install libkidletime4 deinstall libkimap4 deinstall libkio5 install libkipi-data install libkipi11 install libkjsapi4 install libkjsembed4 install libkldap4 deinstall libkleo4 deinstall libklibc install libkmbox4 deinstall libkmediaplayer4 install libkmime4 deinstall libkmod2:amd64 install libknewstuff3-4 install libknotifyconfig4 install libkntlm4 install libkolab0v5 deinstall libkolabxml1v5 deinstall libkonq-common install libkonq5-templates install libkonq5abi1 install libkontactinterface4a deinstall libkparts4 install libkpathsea6:amd64 install libkpgp4 deinstall libkpimidentities4 deinstall libkpimtextedit4 deinstall libkpimutils4 deinstall libkprintutils4 install libkpty4 install libkrb5-26-heimdal:amd64 install libkrb5-3:amd64 install libkrb5support0:amd64 install libkresources4 deinstall libkrosscore4 install libksane0 deinstall libksba8:amd64 install libktexteditor4 install libktnef4 deinstall libkutils4 deinstall libkxmlrpcclient4
« Last Edit: 2016/03/30, 10:01:53 by piper »

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2016/03/30, 14:52:55 »
Sometimes, the user's pulseaudio configuration files become corrupt. Try deleting them (or backing them up if you're so inclined) so fresh ones get generated and see if that helps. The 'apt-get purge' command piper gave resets the system config files (in /etc/pulse), but you need to manually do this to reset the user config:
rm -r ~/.config/pulse*
Then, log out and back in.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2016/03/31, 01:30:29 »
Quote from: seasons
Sometimes, the user's pulseaudio configuration files become corrupt. Try deleting them (or backing them up if you're so inclined) so fresh ones get generated and see if that helps. The 'apt-get purge' command piper gave resets the system config files (in /etc/pulse), but you need to manually do this to reset the user config:
Code: [Select]rm -r ~/.config/pulse*

Then, log out and back in.

If /etc/pulse is gone, no need really for  rm -r ~/.conf/pulse*

And in the future, when you say that I gave a command, please list the RIGHT command I gave.

I never said  "apt-get purge"

I did say "apt remove --purge", as their is a big difference

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2016/03/31, 02:18:02 »
man apt-get
remove
  remove is identical to install except that packages are removed instead of
  installed. Note that removing a package leaves its configuration files on the
  system. If a plus sign is appended to the package name (with no intervening
  space), the identified package will be installed instead of removed.

purge
  purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged (any
  configuration files are deleted too).

--purge
  Use purge instead of remove for anything that would be removed. An asterisk
  ("*") will be displayed next to packages which are scheduled to be purged.
  remove --purge is equivalent to the purge command. Configuration Item:
  APT::Get::Purge.

man apt
install, remove, purge (apt-get(8))
  Performs the requested action on one or more packages specified via regex(7),
  glob(7) or exact match. The requested action can be overridden for specific
  packages by append a plus (+) to the package name to install this package or a
  minus (-) to remove it.

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by following
  the package name with an equals (=) and the version of the package to select.
  Alternatively the version from a specific release can be selected by following
  the package name with a forward slash (/) and codename (jessie, stretch, sid
  ...) or suite name (stable, testing, unstable). This will also select versions
  from this release for dependencies of this package if needed to satisfy the
  request.

Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually small
  (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the remove was an
  accident. Just issuing an installation request for the accidentally removed
  package will restore its function as before in that case. On the other hand
  you can get rid of these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed
  packages. Note that this does not affect any data or configuration stored in
  your home directory.

so apt remove --purge $foo does the very same as apt-get purge as apt purge.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2016/03/31, 03:15:50 »
If /etc/pulse is gone, no need really for  rm -r ~/.conf/pulse*

I disagree. If you purge and reinstall pulseaudio, the old .config/pulse files remain. If they are corrupted, they need to be removed so fresh ones are generated.

And in the future, when you say that I gave a command, please list the RIGHT command I gave.

In the future, please take your own advice (~/.conf is not the sames as ~.config) and keep your caps lock to yourself. Thanks.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2016/03/31, 13:42:08 »
Quote from: seasons
Quote from: piper on Yesterday at 07:30:29 PMIf /etc/pulse is gone, no need really for  rm -r ~/.conf/pulse*
I disagree. If you purge and reinstall pulseaudio, the old .config/pulse files remain. If they are corrupted, they need to be removed so fresh ones are generated.

QuoteAnd in the future, when you say that I gave a command, please list the RIGHT command I gave.
In the future, please take your own advice (~/.conf is not the sames as ~.config) and keep your caps lock to yourself. Thanks.

i just tested this on 2 systems, one 64 bit and one 32 bit, I had no problems

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2016/03/31, 13:54:17 »
Quote from: melmarker
man apt-get Code: [Select]remove
  remove is identical to install except that packages are removed instead of
  installed. Note that removing a package leaves its configuration files on the
  system. If a plus sign is appended to the package name (with no intervening
  space), the identified package will be installed instead of removed.

purge
  purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged (any
  configuration files are deleted too).

--purge
  Use purge instead of remove for anything that would be removed. An asterisk
  ("*") will be displayed next to packages which are scheduled to be purged.
  remove --purge is equivalent to the purge command. Configuration Item:
  APT::Get::Purge.
man apt Code: [Select]install, remove, purge (apt-get(8))
  Performs the requested action on one or more packages specified via regex(7),
  glob(7) or exact match. The requested action can be overridden for specific
  packages by append a plus (+) to the package name to install this package or a
  minus (-) to remove it.

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by following
  the package name with an equals (=) and the version of the package to select.
  Alternatively the version from a specific release can be selected by following
  the package name with a forward slash (/) and codename (jessie, stretch, sid
  ...) or suite name (stable, testing, unstable). This will also select versions
  from this release for dependencies of this package if needed to satisfy the
  request.

Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually small
  (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the remove was an
  accident. Just issuing an installation request for the accidentally removed
  package will restore its function as before in that case. On the other hand
  you can get rid of these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed
  packages. Note that this does not affect any data or configuration stored in
  your home directory.
so apt remove --purge $foo does the very same as apt-get purge as apt purge.

I agree, but, on some games, remove --purge worked better than just plan purge

Sometimes it is wise to be careful using apt --purge packagename* as that can delete unintended packages and cause more problems than it solves.

Or if you must, at least run it with a -s/--simulate/--dry-run flag first to see exactly what it will do without doing it.

I always went by this guideline, can't find my original page, but, shows up in many others

remove - Packages installed are removed (Does NOT include configuration files)

purge - Purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged. Purge meaning that any configuration files are deleted too.

This of course, does not apply to packages that hold configuration files inside the user's home folder (eg: /home/SexyNoJutsuUser), this files will not be touched ( Why does "Purge" not remove everything related to an app? )

So for example, if you were to remove Chrome, Firefox, XBMC or any other that holds some configuration files inside your /home folder, this files will stay there.

On the other hand if you were to install apache, squid, mysql or any other services similar that save their files in /etc, this configuration files will be deleted if you use purge.

This is why I always use remove --purge

apt remove --purge packagename

will remove about everything regarding the package packagename, [...]

Particularly useful when you want to 'start all over' with an application because you messed up the configuration.

Most times I use

apt-get --purge autoremove $(dpkg --get-selections | grep PACKAGE_NAME | awk '{ print $1}')

or if I feel destructive

dpkg --get-selections | grep PACKAGE_NAME | awk '{ print $1}'| xargs apt-get -y --purge autoremove
« Last Edit: 2016/03/31, 14:25:07 by piper »

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2016/03/31, 19:00:42 »
So for example, if you were to remove Chrome, Firefox, XBMC or any other that holds some configuration files inside your /home folder, this files will stay there.

That's why I suggested the command I did. If one doesn't want to remove the user pulseaudio config files, s/he can also create a new user and see if the problem can be replicated with that user.
So, that would be my advice to the OP. I usually don't personally suggest purge/reinstall of pulseaudio packages unless the user made changes to a file(s) in /etc/pulse and wants to get back to default configuration.

If all of the suggestions fail, this page describes how to get a detailed pulseaudio log:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log

mxmehl

« Reply #14 on: 2016/04/01, 00:08:17 »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

So if I understand you right, apt remove --purge pulseaudio [...] also removes the configuration files in ~/, so there's no reason to do that manually, right?

If yes, this was unsuccessful, the problem arose again. However, I couldn't plainly reproduce the bug by mounting something, it just happens at some time. I will try to find a way to reproduce it and paste the log by the method "seasons" suggested.

If anyone has more ideas how to find out what's wrong, please feel free to post it here. I will happily try it out :)